Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98 SE keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dangme60

Dangme60

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hello:
I am working on a compaq computer that keeps rebooting. The people just upgraded to DSL from dial-up. I can boot into safe mode with no problem and have uninstalled the new network card and the modem and still get as far as the desktop and then it just reboots. I was wondering how to get the CD player to work in safe mode so i can check for a virus or if anybody has any other ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help
Dangme60

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

I would go to Safe Mode>START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP and uncheck one item at a time and see if that clears your problem. It sounds like windows is conflicting with a program then crashing. Which ever one you unchech stops the system rebooting may be your problem. If this identifies a program I would uninstall it, then reinstall it to see if that clears it up. This should not take much time (an hour or so) and if it did not cure you ills I would POST a HJT log in the HJT forum.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users