Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Rendering Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rogue_agent

rogue_agent

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

Until now, I have been using Windows Vista and my default browser has always been Mozilla Firefox. I had no problems using it. Now I have Windows 7 and after installing all the drivers and other files, I have begun to use the Internet through Firefox again. The version is Firefox 3.6.3.

I have noticed a very annoying problem. My internet conenction is 100% in peak condition but Firefox very slowly loads everything and sometimes even hangs until I move my mouse pointer around. The content on the pages take some time to render as well. Here's some examples of rendering problems that I encounter:
  • When I load a webpage, it hangs and keeps on loading until I move the mouse pointer
  • An animated GIF remains static in its 1st frame and only moves into the next frame if I keep moving the mouse pointer
  • When downloading a file of varied sizes, the information and loading bar doesn't even update and remains static unless I keep on moving the mouse pointer
So, overall, I can only browse smoothly on Firefox if I keep on moving the mouse pointer, which is ridiculous!

I have exactly the same add-ons on Firefox as I had before when I was using Vista - with one exception - Gacela. However, I disabled this add-on (even though Gacela is a safe add-on) and I'm having the same rendering problems.

These rendering problems I've stated above do not occur on Internet Explorer or any other browser for that matter. I could use another browser to get away from this problem but I really want to stick with Firefox.

Can anybody please help me in pinpointing the source of this problem and how to solve it? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of happening with Firefox... :thumbsup:

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode.

Posted Image

Did you do an upgrade from Vista to 7, or was it a clean install?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

OK, I started Firefox in Safe Mode. Everything's fine. So I started Firefox in normal mode and everything was fine as well. However, sometimes when I start Firefox, those same problems crop up again and sometimes they don't! Weird, right?

Anyway, I used to have Vista and I upgraded to 7 but it was a clean install - meaning that my hard drive was formatted and everything was uninstalled. Before I did that, I made a list of everything that I had installed and reinstalled the exact same stuff on Windows 7.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

Okay, then it's likely addon related....

Try this: Troubleshoot extensions and themes

A clean install is what I wanted to hear. :flowers: In-place upgrades tend to be plagued by bugs. :thumbsup:

#5 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for that link, KeyboardNinja.

Yeah, I really wanted to do a clean install and start from scratch again. :flowers:

What do you mean by in-place upgrades?

It really looks like my Gacela plugin is causing problems. I really want to keep this add-on but it looks like I've got no choice. :thumbsup:

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

An in-place upgrade from Vista to 7 keeps all your programs and settings without having to install everything again. See here. However, in-place upgrades tend to have little unexplainable bugs and glitches that can only be fixed by a clean install....so why not just go ahead with a clean install? That's my philosophy. :thumbsup:

Sorry about that addon...sometimes it happens. It's possible they will release a new version in the future that does not cause problems.

#7 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Your philosophy's 100% correct. Thanks for pinpointing the problem for me.

Yeah, for now, I've happily given up on the add-on that was causing the problem. I guess having the browser free of all problems is much better than an add-on.

Thank you once again.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Yep, you're exactly right....it's like a situation I had a while back...this guy had just renewed his Norton subscription, but Norton kept crashing all his computers. Would you keep the paid program just for the principle of the matter (not wanting hard-earned money to be wasted), even though it crashes your computer?

You're welcome, again. :flowers:

#9 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

I see. No way I would keep a program like that, even if I paid for it! On a side note, I have the full paid version of AVG Internet Security, & it's not crashing anything so far. However, if it was the only thing crashing my computer, then I would definitely remove it.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Yep! :thumbsup:

#11 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

KeyboardNinja, I'm sorry to bother you again but I encountered a similar problem yesterday, where Firefox was rendering slower than usual. Is it okay if I still use this topic for my problem?

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I don't see why not. It's your topic. :thumbsup:

By "rendering slower than usual", I can only assume you mean the pages were loading slow(er). The first thing I try when things start to drag is clear the cache: How to clear the cache, then restart Firefox (close all windows, wait a second, then reopen).

#13 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Thank you.

OK, I cleared the cache. However, these problems still remain. But first, I would like to say that the pages load fast. Everything's nice.

It's just that Firefox doesn't update information and sometimes animated GIFs move very slowly unless I wildly move my mouse pointer. When I'm downloading a file, then information such as the speed of the download (KB/s) and the progress bar are very slow to update and refresh.

So, in a nutshell, visiting the internet is smooth enough but animated GIFs and updating/refreshing information is the problem.

Do you have any clue what the problem is?

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

animated GIFs and updating/refreshing information is the problem.

Do you have any clue what the problem is?

Try updating java and flash.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

I cannot find any addon named "gacela" for firefox. From where did you download it?

I did find some mention of a toolbar and adware/malware.

I suggest you use Super Antispyware Free to scan your computer and allow it to remove whatever it finds.
Does the "gacela" have an unistaller? If so, I would do that, too.

http://www.superantispyware.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users