Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recurring winsock catalog provider issue - how do i fix it once & for all?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 evvabeing

evvabeing

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

every now and then i lose the ability to load web pages. i'll run network diagnostics, it'll tell me it's a winsock catalog provider issue, i have network diagnostics fix it, reboot...and without fail it'll happen all over again at some point. how do i fix this issue once and for all? / what could be causing this?

fingers crossed i get some replies (since past posts about this issue seem to have been ignored),

evva.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

FWIW: Posts...made by anyone seeking assistance of any sort...may go unanswered for any number of reasons.

Not the least of which is...if readers of said post have not experienced such issues as detailed, whether in the course of work or wihth their systems at home.

If you look at the variety of forums represented here at BC...I believe that you will see how easily such can happen, particulary if a given topic (such networking issues) has its own forum individual collection of expertise/experience.

If it's an O/S issue...then it belongs here and chances are that 1 of the many Microsoft users has experienced it...it's documented via a KB if enough persons have experienced the same error/situation. From reading KBs, you know that providing the type of info you have thus far provided...can have multiple reasons and attempted cures.

Based on what you have stated thus far...the best I can do is point you to Google List, Winsock Catallog Provider Issue.

Others here may be able to provide more assistance with what they perceive as your situation.

Louis

#3 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hi evvabeing,

Could you please post back and tell us which operating system you have, and also which antivirus/antimalware and firewall applications you are using?

I'll have a crack at the problem for you. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 07 May 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#4 evvabeing

evvabeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

awesome! thanks.

i'm using windows xp professional. for protection i'm running avg anti-virus and shield deluxe...the first being free, the latter i pay for.

let me know if there's more information you were looking for.

and again, thanks.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Has this system been scanned recently for viruses and spyware?
What programs were used?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 evvabeing

evvabeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

the programs i mentioned above are used

the programs i mentioned above are used

#7 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi evvabeing,

Please try this:

(Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator.)

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the entry below into the run line and click OK
CMD /C NETSH int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the entry below into the run line and click OK
CMD /C netsh winsock reset catalog
Then restart your computer.

Let me know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 07 May 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#8 evvabeing

evvabeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

forgive me, but could you please explain what each of those commands will do? is it different than the fix network diagnostics does to winsock? if so, what's different?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would try this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

#10 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

The fix network diagnostics doesn't remove all the third party LSPs (Layered Service Providers) that might be causing a problem.

Step 2 in my post above will do that. :thumbsup:

#11 evvabeing

evvabeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

let me start off by saying i'm sooooo sorry for 'ignoring' this post for so long. life took me to places were i couldn't worry about a winsock provider. but i'm at least wanting to round this post off...and more importantly, thank all of you that offered advice and assistance.

i did a big clean up of my computer (as suggested) and i also removed the security programs i was using before and has switched over to avast. since then, no winsock issues!!

so thanks again to all of you.

however, a part of me would still like to understand what the winsock catalog provider is / does...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users