Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard problems with Linux?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jon-9

jon-9

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Asking as a first-time builder:

Do any motherboards have problems with Linux? I want to try Ubuntu Linux as my main OS; might partition the HD and also install Win7.

I plan to use
Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX
http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/specs/...mp;print_page=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...=GA-785GMT-USB3

At the bottom of Gigabyte's spec list, the Remarks say:
"Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website"

So I'd download driver(s) fr/AMD; and after that, no problems? (hoping...)

Thanks--
jon-9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Yes that should be the case and work it, ubuntu usually has very good support for most if not all mobos especially if they supply the chipset drivers. :thumbsup: if you want a definite answer just live boot ubuntu and see if anything is not working. :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

For the most part, most motherboards work very well with linux. I had an issue with my older gigabyte board and openSuSe once, but that was a long time ago and even know OpenSuSe works just fine on it. Typically, its video cards that I find have more issues with linux then chipset drivers, and even now adays linux, especially ubuntu, is getting MUCH better at creating support for them, in fact its getting to the point I dont even have to install drivers. with windows I have to install windows, then each individual driver. with the last 2 linux OSes Ive tried with, I havent had to install a single driver-just installed the OS and it recognized everything. Hope you have fun, I personally love linux, even though it makes me want to pull my hair out some days.

Edited by the_patriot09, 07 May 2010 - 02:12 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users