Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comment on first build component list?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jon-9

jon-9

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi--newbie builder here--first build is a budget unit for basic home/office tasks and maybe home theater. I'd welcome comments from experienced builders on my choice of components. I'm trying to keep things simple, so will use onboard audio/video; how do these components look? Any compatibility problems?:

Case+PSU
Antec Sonata III 500 ATX Mid-Tower Case+500W EarthWatts PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-024-_-Product

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX
http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/specs/...mp;print_page=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...p;Tpk=ga-785GMT

CPU
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-681-_-Product

RAM
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148150

Hard drive
500MB--Seagate, WD, or Samsung--suggestions?

Optical Drive
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106334

Monitor
undecided

Qs:
--I see conflicting reviews of Crucial RAM, and Seagate+WD hdds. How much should I weight the bad reviews? Some say these brands have had serious quality problems; or do the reviews represent the normal percent of defective items?

--I want to run Ubuntu Linux on this machine as main OS. Might partition HD for Win7-undecided.

At the bottom of Gigabyte's spec list [linked above], in the "Remark" box, Gigabyte says:

"Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website"

...which means I'd download driver(s) from AMD; aside from this, are there any other considerations re running Linux on this mobo? The GA-785GMT-USB3 user's guide [downloaded .pdf] is Windows-focused, so that's why I'm asking--want to anticipate any "gotchas" and avoid newbie mistakes if I can.

Thanks for comments--

Edited by jon-9, 07 May 2010 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

The only thing I might change is the DVD player, to a Blue-Ray Disc player. They are getting cheaper and you can still run DVDs as well.

DR

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

as far as your crucial memory and seagate hard drives are concerned, Ive seen a lot of good memory come from crucial. I dont use them, I usually use Patriot Memory in all my builds, but I would trust crucial they are a reputable name brand memory manufacturer. Ive never used seagate hard drives, but from the reviews ive seen, I can say nothing bad about them. I tend to use Western digital hard drives as a first choice, though Ive also used Hitachi and samsung with no issues. (hitachi SATA drives. Hitachi IDE drives seem to die rather fast for me)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Check the warranty on those Seagate drives. Some of them have a 3 year and others a 5 year warranty.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Memory (RAM): Crucial (or) Kingston 4GB Kit - DDR3 1066Mhz
Hard disk: Seagate (Most new models come with a 5 Yr warranty)

Monitor:
What size are you looking for? Price range? Primary Usage?

The rest is fine.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 07 May 2010 - 06:22 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:10 AM

Unless you are using a micro-ATX computer case, you may want to go with a full ATX variant of that motherboard, the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 AMD 785G will be more feature rich and probably run cooler as the components are spaced out more. If you are going to be watching DVD's and Blu-Ray's you may just want to go with Windows 7 immediately since everything is already installed for DVD's and Blu-Ray playback is supported with WinDVD. You may also have issues playing HD content on Linux since HDCP isn't implemented with the OS, I think. Since you haven't told us what your use case for the monitor is, we can only guess as to what you are going to be doing there.

Monitor Suggestions
ASUS VH198T Black 19" - A basic monitor with an LED backlight but has no HDMI nor 1080p. $129
ASUS MS226H - A step up from the above monitor that has HDMI and 1080p. $179
ASUS MS238H - A 23-inch LED backlit monitor with HDMI and 1080p, this is great if you watch movies or game on the system. $204

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users