Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just how hard is it to switch from keyboard to controller?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

I've been seriously considering switching over to console platform like a 360 or PS3. Just seems like I have three friends that play on PC for every fifty that play on xbox. Switching would really save a lot of time and trouble- no messing with quality settings (beside rez), easy mic hookups, no changing and constant updating of graohics cards, and the list keeps going. Problem is, I was brought up on PC gaming. Have had almost no experience with console controllers and lets face it- all the good games were designed for consoles first, and then ported or redone for PC later. Imagine- graphics are still up to par, fps is locked at 60, there would be no worries and you would have to upgrade a whole lot less.

It's just that controller, I don't know if I'm going to handle it.

So that's the first question, this isn't the best board to come to but I didn't feel like looking for another.

Next question is if anyone's heard of XFPS. Its some addon hardware for xbox 360 that lets you use a keyboard and mouse in place of the controller. I've seen some pretty well mixed reviews and I have absolutly no idea if it would be worth it.

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

The .cc, low web hit counts (domain rated $73 by some web tracker), and poor (rather, unprofessional) website quality makes me question their product.

EDIT:

I feel that PC gaming is slowly dying. Pirating and DRM crackers are playing a big part in that, it is much easier to pirate and crack PC games than console games. Just wondering if I should bail before it's too late. But if the PC gaming maket dies, high end mobos, monitors, sound and graphics will follow. No one will need to crossfire four 5970s together anymore, OC'ing would probably die as well. No one would need a 6 core OCed to 4.2 (unless you do some converting), and now that consoles can play DVD/BR, disk readers and 3rd party DVD/DB players would likely fall to.

EDIT 2:

As you can see from my sig, I have a lot of room to upgrade. My case is the most decent think in there, my mobo is from an old HP a6700f, ditto with my non-OCable processor. I don't want to shell out $500 on a good graphics and another good chunk of $ on a mobo just to have the PC game market die. From http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252579-28-console-losing (title is bad, its consoles are winning, pc loosing) I didn't realize how close GTA and ME2 were to not releasing for PC.

Edited by maki2012, 07 May 2010 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

well my friend, I dare say PC gaming is not dying, I like you have been brought up on PC gaming and while I have a couple consoles, will never switch over, and high end parts will continue to be sold because some people, gamer or not, just plain like their high end games. And pirating is not just affecting the PC market, but the console market as well. if you have a good DVD or Blu ray burner, you can easily download a pirated version of almost any console game on the market and burn it to disc. sad isnt it, what modern technology can do. as far as using XFPS, I dont know about that particular software, but I do have a friend who connected his keyboard and mouse to his xbox using a custom connection, as well as custom made drivers, and he really liked it. Worked amazing, he pwned everyone else out there. Kind of a unfair advantage though, digital mouse vs analog controller lol. but anyway, consoles are nice when you have friends over, but in my mind nothing can beat a good ol fashioned PC game on a good PC.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, but I don't really play the good 'ol games for PC. Just about everything I play nowadays is always for one or both of the other major consoles (refering to xbox and psx).

I did hunt around a little for an xbox 360 emulator, but even if I did find one, I doubt it be very good (or do multiplayer). Its true that consoles are affected by pirates, but pc games are hit a whole lot harder. I do have to say the portability of the consoles is much better than PC. Minus a TV, you need your wireless controller, main console, 50ft ethernet cable and a few others (power and such).

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

im still a hard core PC gamer, portability is fine but you know lol you just cant beat a good ol fashioned game. the reality is PC gaming is not dying, console makers just want people to think it is so they can make more money. but as far as switching over, the more you use a controller the more used to it, Im pretty comfortable with the controller, though I still prefer my logitech mouse and hp keyboard combo (ya I know, totally custom computer, high end parts blah blah, and I use an ancient hp keyboard. what can I say, im used to it, i love it and i cant find another one like it. ever have a keyboard like that?)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, keyboards and mice are the hardest to get used to, I guess kinda like controllers. Still, an analog stick beats a digital mouse every day. Some keyboards are just the worst, I had this five year old Dell keyboard with these huge keys that sounded like mousetraps when you hit one. Even after I switched from XP to Vista to Linux and back to Vista and then a Win 7 upgrade, I've still had the same keyboard from HP even though the original computer is completely gone.

#6 HijackMeThis

HijackMeThis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Actually, in my eyes it is a pretty easy switch.
I found it hard to transition from using a controller to using a keyboard/mouse, have to remember all these keys and everything
on a controller it's easy to memorize all the controls and things

#7 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

The buttons are going to be fine to transition to. It will just be different keys in different positions, but I will have lost the ability to custom assign keys to actions. Its those sticks though, instead of one direction to move center of the screen to somewhere else you have to press in one direction and hold and hope you get it right. It's going to be impossible for me to do any sniping if I ever switch.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

actually many games give you the option to change the button assignments on consoles, xbox at least for sure.

picard5.jpg

#9 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Well thats good to know. Though your not going to find any shortcut key addons or 100+key controllers, so there isn't much leeway for the buttons you can hit.

#10 silverpl105

silverpl105

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:15 AM

I agree with the_patriot09 's idea, you can follow it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users