Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Virus/Malware; DDS won't work

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Woodtroll

Woodtroll

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:45 AM

Folks,

I have an older Dell Dimension 2400, XP, formerly using IE8 but recently switched to Google Chrome. This is the house computer, so the kids use it too, and I occasionally pick up little bugs on it that I am able to figure out and fix myself.

A few days ago, this machine turned sluggish, and I attempted to run a virus check on it using Avast, but the scan just stalled and never did complete. Same thing with AdAware, Spybot SD, and the TrendMicro online scan (this one stalls at the initial launch download). IE8 won't even open up completely anymore, nor will the CCleaner program that I normally use often- this highlights on the desktop for a couple minutes, then resumes its normal appearance without ever opening. Any program I try to use opens slowly, and then takes forever to exit when I try to close it out. The exceptions to this seem to be the Chrome browser, and most of the internet pages I access from this; for the most part, these seem to work normally. Applications (may not be the correct term) like "Control Panel" and "My Documents" either will not open at all, or open very slowly (taking 3-5 minutes to open, search, etc.). Sometimes when starting the computer, I will click on a user from the XP main page, it will generate the "welcome" page, but then never do anything else. So, I think this is much deeper than just a browser issue.

As a last resort, I tried running the DDS log listed on this site; it loaded fine, and I get the initial window that tells me it is scanning, but then it disappears without generating the text files shown in your "Preparation Guide for Use". I am now at a loss....

I am not very computer literate, but can follow instructions if they are presented at the "illiterate" level. Usually I can find answers here (I have been a long-time lurker, but just signed up to make this post).

I was able to generate a file using "Hijack This" that I already had on the computer from years ago. Could I post this on here, to see if it makes any sense to you?

I am not very computer literate, but can follow instructions if they are presented at the "illiterate" level.

Thanks for any help you might be willing to offer.
Regan

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 May 2010 - 09:10 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users