Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D drive still inaccessible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:45 AM

I had a virus or malware problem, and ran A-Squared's program, which removed most of the malware. But my 'D' drive is still inaccessible, the unit giving me a message when I try to access it that it is not formatted etc...

I tried (per suggestion from a BC advisor) to run combofix, but my unit would not run it in regular mode, (sick computers don't always respond as expected) and in safe mode it would not connect the WiFi...so I ran combofix in safe mode with no net connection.....it deleted lots of files and folders, and then windows would not work.

The unit also gave me trouble when I tried to load a file (that the combo screen said was missing) from the Windows CD....no luck.
Later it was difficult to reinstall Windows, but I finally got it in, losing, of course, all my settings, some programs, and documents.

BUT, whatever stubborn thing is preventing me from accessing the 'D' drive survived the reinstallation. Would someone be willing to look at a DDS log and help me find it, or perhaps a log from Hijack This. If this bug is the problem that kept combofix from running properly the last time, then I am not anxious to attempt to re-run it. :thumbsup:

Ooops. posted in the wrong forum...could someone move this to the malware removal forum? Thanx

Edited by PGHinBKK, 07 May 2010 - 02:48 AM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

You will need to post the logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum as DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum.

However, schrauber was assisting you here previously and closed your topic due to the lack of feedback. If this is the same computer I can reopen it so you can reply and send him a PM. If its not the same computer, then you should start a new topic and post your logs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Quietman, thank you for helping.

Yes it is the same computer, and I DID send schrauber a message requesting that the thread be reopened, but perhaps the message wasn't in the correct format, ( I couldn't find the post/thread ID, and simply gave the thread's title), and never received a response. If you read the full thread that he closed you may understand why I was lax in responding. I would greatly appreciate any help, as he did take a look at the DDS log and spotted some king of problem, and that problem surely is still present. The unit is still running very slow, 'D' drive is inaccessible, and Windows freezes constantly. BTW, what is meant by the "address of the thread"? Does that mean the particular forum and title?

I was surprised a while ago when I read the tutorial about using HiJackThis, as I was unaware of its full capabilities. Is it possible that this program could be used for further diagnosis? Thanks again. :thumbsup:

PS

You will need to post the logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum as DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum

Yes, I know, and that's why I asked someone to move this thread to the malware/virus removal forum, after I realized I'd inadvertently posted it in the incorrect forum.
But thanks for the reminder, as I will be more careful in future.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 10 May 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

I have reopened that topic so you can respond there and sent schrauber a PM to advise it was reopened.

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have reopened that topic so you can respond there and sent schrauber a PM to advise it was reopened.

As they say here "Kahp puhn mahk kahp! Kuhn jai dee mahk" Thank you very much! You are very kind!

'Next time' you come to Thailand, I owe you a beer, (and beers for anyone else kind enough to help this poor ol' dinosaur get his sick lil' unit back up n' running!) :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

You're welcome and good luck.

I will close this thread to avoid confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users