Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robjl3

robjl3

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

I'm having a problem with my monitor since I installed a new power supply. Every time I operate an optical drive or there is significant HD usage my monitor goes all wavy...?

I have a MSI K7m2m motherboard with onboard video/lan/sound, the processor is an Atlon XP 1800+. I'm running a 128mb sound card, 250GB Hd; 40Gb HD CDRW DVDRW and floppy. The old power supply was a 230W and I upgraded to a 400W dual fan..

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:18 AM

what kind of PSU did you buy? And I'm guessing that you have already checked for loose connections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:50 AM

How far is your case away from your monitor? This is kind of weird because what your describing only happens when theres heavy magnetism near the monitor. Have you tried degaussing?

#4 confused_user

confused_user

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

Every time I operate an optical drive or there is significant HD usage my monitor goes all wavy...?

How long has this problem been going on? Is there anything physically around your computer that has not been there long such as cordless devices?

Would you mind posting the make/model number of your video card? Have you updated drivers?

How old is your monitor?

How much RAM do you have?

#5 robjl3

robjl3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:27 PM

Name brand is a "Power Up!" 400W power supply... has dual 80mm fans with fan speed adjustment, and 20 or 24 pin connection.

Monitor is a HP P920 19" CRT, a couple of years old... Worked just fine until I changed the power supply.

I even installed a 64mb Video card in the AGP slot and the same problem...

Degaussed several times and no help.

When I change to 100Hz there is a lot less vibration in the screen, just fine vibrations instead of lrger one's.

512mb of ram.

The case is under the table about 2' vertically and 1ft 1/2 laterally away from monitor

I've chacked every connection for a loose connection. I've even changed what connects to what power line... i.e. HDD's on one line, and optical and fans on another.

I have quite a few fans running, maybe that's causing too much vibration to the motherboard.. I installed a HDD cooling fan?

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it guys.

Rob

I might just return the power supply and try a different one?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

I couldn't find any information on a Power Up PSU, and I'm always suspicious of problems that occur after a new part has been added. Do you have access to another computer where you could see if your monitor works, if you do and find that it isn't the problem I would be real suspicious of that PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:25 AM

Power Up is consider a low quality brand.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 robjl3

robjl3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

The PSU is definitely going back!

I plugged in a 17" monitor that I know works and the same problem so it must be the psu.

I'll go with a better name brand this time and spend the extra $$.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Rob

#9 robjl3

robjl3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

The PSU is definitely going back!

I plugged in a 17" monitor that I know works and the same problem so it must be the psu.

I'll go with a better name brand this time and spend the extra $$.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Rob

#10 robjl3

robjl3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:44 PM

Bought an Ultra X connect 400W psu and the problem is gone...!

Thx

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users