Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No audio device" after SP3 reinstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 qwedfry

qwedfry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

Earlier today (well, yesterday now), I reinstalled Windows XP Professional SP3. I've successfully downloaded and reinstalled all the drivers I need with no problem except for my audio. I have integrated sound on my eMachine T6216. I've tried the driver from eMachines' website and 3 different drivers from Realtek (WDM_A406.exe, WDM_R247.exe, and WDM_R248.exe), all with no luck. The Windows Audio service is running. In Device Manager, under "Sound, video, and game controllers", it has listed Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, and Video Codecs. It also has 3 devices that are missing drivers under "Other Devices", 2 called PCI Device and one called PCI Simple Communications Controller. This is a dual-boot system and my audio works fine in Debian, so I know it's not a hardware problem or anything like that. What do I need to do to get my audio working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:11 AM

The eMachine drivers are what I would use.

http://www.emachines.com/support/drivers.html

I would also remove any unneeded drivers...before attempting to install the correct drivers, since such can interfere with system functionality.

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Louis

#3 qwedfry

qwedfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I went through and uninstalled all the hidden devices (except for "RAS Async Adapter", which it told me it couldn't uninstall) and reinstalled the eMachines driver. I was then prompted to restart, and after I did, I got a window with the Realtek logo and a progress bar. Windows popped up something about driver signing or some such crap, and I told it to "Continue anyway", and I was then prompted to restart again. I did, and got - nothing. I thought maybe I might have to configure something in Realtek's sound manager first, but all of its utilities that it installed fail to start. Additionally, when I tried to uninstall the "Realtek HD Audio System", since it wasn't working, halfway through it gave me the error "Realtek HD Audio driver Remove Failure!" Any ideas?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

You can try the following:

Driver Sweeper

Select only the Realtek Sound option then hit clean.

After that try reinstalling from http://www.realtek.com/downloads

#5 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hi qwedfry,

All your drivers can be found using the selection tools on the page hamluis mentioned above.

Posted Image

You will need to install all of them if you want everything to show up correctly in Device Manager.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#6 qwedfry

qwedfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

I downloaded Driver Sweeper and tried the 3 Realtek drivers in turn, uninstalling them and cleaning with Driver Sweeper again each time before I tried the next one. The two HD Audio drivers failed the same as the eMachines one. The AC'97 drivers acted like they had installed successfully. I was even able to open their audio control panel, but when I did, I got the message "EQ Initial Failed!!!", and it listed my Audio Controller as N/A.

As I said before, the eMachines audio driver has not worked twice for me. For the hell of it, though, I went ahead and installed the CardReader and Modem drivers from their page that I hadn't bothered installing before. Now the only entries left in Device Manager under "Other Devices" are the two PCI Devices.

I noticed that Driver Sweeper had two sound entries, "Realtek - Sound" and "Creative - Sound". Could the Creative thing have anything to do with this?

#7 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi qwedfry,

It is important that you install the chipset driver as well if you haven't already done it.

Also, you can download the free PC Wizard program. (Untick all the boxes on the Ask toolbar page).

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

This will give you good information about all the hardware on your system which may help you to source the correct drivers.

#8 qwedfry

qwedfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

marktreg, I think I love you. When I looked at the devices in PC Wizard, it mentioned something about ALC880. A little Google searching, and I finally found the right drivers for my system. Actually, only one of the devices is installed and working now. Under "Other Devices", I now have an "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" missing a driver. My sound is working, though, so I'm not too concerned about it.

#9 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

Excellent news, qwedfry. Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 08 May 2010 - 04:22 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

That should be the Realtek driver from the eMachines website, it's Realtek ALC880.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users