Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share internet connection between two computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

Okay, here's the story. We have one computer in a back bedroom hooked up to a Linksys WRT54GS v7.2 wireless router. For anyone in the back of the house, the wireless signal is sufficient for wireless use. Anyone in the front of the house the connection is hit or miss. Usually miss. We decided to hook up another wireless router in the front of the house for better coverage. We set up an old desktop computer running XP and hooked up an Asus WL520GC. Here's where things start getting a little sketchy. I know that I am supposed to go into the second router (the Asus) and turn DHCP off but I am currently not able to access the internal router settings. It keeps telling me that there is a problem loading the page. My question is do I hook the ethernet cable up to the WAN or the LAN port on the second router? Also, do I need to enable ICS on the desktop hooked up to the Linksys router? I have never attempted anything like this so I could really use some help. For anyone confused at this point (I know I am) here's a listing of how things are currently configured:

Desktop 1: Linksys WRT54GS router set up between Cisco DPC3000 cable modem and Dell E510 running Windows 7. This computer has full internet connectivity and the router is broadcasting a WiFi signal.

Desktop 2: Asus WL520GC router connected between an old Dell XPS 450 running Windows XP. The ethernet cable from the Linksys router is currently in the WAN port on this router.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:56 AM

Go here and see if this is any help.
http://routersetup.blogspot.com/2007/08/co...ters-wired.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users