Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice about upgrading Dell Latitude

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Athlynne

Athlynne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi, all. I just bought a used Dell Latitude laptop, and it seems to work well, but I want to increase its RAM and physical memory, since it seems to be low on both. I've been trying to research my options for this, but I'm kind of getting lost in all the different kinds of Dell Latitude models and I can't seem to find any info on how much it can be upgraded and approximately what it might cost me. Here's what I know about the computer:

Dell Latitude CPi A336XT
Operating system version 5.1.2600
Intel Pentium II processor
363 MHz, 192 MB RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I also need to replace the laptop's battery and get the Enter button fixed, it's come loose and won't go back on. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:30 AM

Wow, that is very old and upgrading the laptop might not be the best solution since you will probably end up needing a new laptop soon anyway. Unfortunately, a web search, and a search at Dell's site yields no results. I assume it is due to the age of that old clunker. With laptops, you can usually replace the hard drive (Assuming you still have disc to reinstall Windows), the RAM, and battery. Most other repairs and upgrades should be done by a professional and not attempted by a home user. Updating the RAM might be doable, however, we need more information regarding your computer setup. You can get this information by downloading CPU-Z here. Once it is up and running, go to the the memory and SPD tabs and tell us what is there. Most laptops have a door on the bottom of the PC to allow for easy access to the RAM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users