Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card upgrade? or problems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jm9301

Jm9301

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hello, i have a Acer Aspire 6930G with

Intel 5800T processor
Nvidia 9600m GS video card
4gb Ram
320 GB HD

Problem i am having is with games, Even battlefield 2 a relatively older game doesnt run so well. I have to set the graphics really low in order to get a somewhat decent FPS. When i try to play something a little more demanding like Age of Conan with settings set at minnimum, im lucky to see 15fps not moving, sometimes down to 3 when actually in a battle.

I thought this was a somewhat decent video card, with its dedicated 512mb memory, but it seems to be a real disapointment. And yes i did update my drivers, Any ideas on what could be skidding my video performance? or is it possible to upgrade to a decent video card?

Edited by Jm9301, 06 May 2010 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

Laptops just aren't designed for gaming, as indicated by that mobile graphics card and 2GHz. mobile CPU. Most notebook components just aren't nowhere near as good as their desktop counterparts and the graphics card is actually old in comparison. With Nvidia cards, that is a Geforce 9, we are now two generations past that. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade a graphics card on a laptop since the components are soldered onto the motherboard.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Game...ds.13849.0.html\

Enter "9600m GS" where it says "MODEL".

Edited by dpunisher, 07 May 2010 - 05:53 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Jm9301

Jm9301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

Update, I talked with a fellow at the local Computer shop and he said it is a upgradeable unit, but he wasnt sure what newer video cards would fit/work. How can i figure that out? just take the thing apart or what?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:52 AM

There are very few laptops with graphics cards that can be swapped out, and those are high-end models that are desktop replacements, which yours is not. According to your laptop's users guide, the Acer Aspire 6930G does not allow for user swappable GPU's. I'm not entirely sure you can do anything to increase performance as the CPU and GPU are not easily swappable, if at all, and your memory is already maxed out.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users