Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

w7 home networking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hey everyone, I have a desktop at home with w7 pro and a laptop with w7 home premium. My desktop says that windows cannot discover any computer or device and the laptop can see the desktop but says that it cannot add it to the network map.
From the laptop, I can see all the public folders on my desktop, music, documents yadda, yadda, yadda. I get nothing from the desktop to the laptop. I'm not great at this, but I do know a few things, and this doesn't make any sense to me.
Who out there is well versed in w7 networking that would like to help? I am sure I will need to add some information, please let me know what you need.
Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Oh yeah, this all started after I upgraded the laptop from Vista to w7 ultimate. What I didn't know at the time was the ultimate version was a trial and expired. I installed a clean version of w7 home premium, after which the laptop would not connect to the wireless network at all. After several attempts entering in the ssid unsuccessfully, I went into the router and disabled the security, at which point the laptop said it connected to the homegroup. They are both on the same homegroup using the same password.
I tried googling this issue and didn't come up with any results that helped.

Edited by superfoozer, 06 May 2010 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Creating and joining a homegroup

To create my homegroup, I opened HomeGroup in Control Panel, and then clicked Create a homegroup. Then, I walked to each of the other computers on my network, opened HomeGroup in Control Panel, and clicked Join now. For more information about creating or joining homegroups, see Create a homegroup and Join a homegroup.

During the process of setting up or joining a homegroup, I chose the libraries and printers I wanted to share. I can easily change these later, and I can exclude specific files from sharing, or share them with some people and not others. To learn more about that, see Keep specific files and folders from being shared with a homegroup.

HomeGroup provides a password to help protect the shared files and printers. I can change that password at any time, too, by following the steps in Change a homegroup password.

My homegroup is not set in stone. I can easily change homegroup settings such as the libraries I'm sharing. The steps to do this are explained in Share libraries with your homegroup and Change HomeGroup settings.
Top of page
HomeGroup in action

Now that I've got a homegroup, what happens next? How do I use it?

As an example, today I wanted to e‑mail a photo of my roses to a friend of mine. I was using my laptop in the living room, but the photo was on the PC in my home office. I opened Libraries, clicked the name of my desktop PC under Homegroup in the left pane, and then clicked the Pictures folder. I found the photo, copied it, and pasted it into the e‑mail I was writing—easy.

Picture of the Libraries windowAccessing homegroup files in Libraries
Top of page
Homegroup security

A homegroup is protected by a password. You can use the one created when you first set up the homegroup, or you can change it. If you ever forget your homegroup password, you can view it on any PC that's part of your homegroup by following the steps in Where can I find my homegroup password?

People who belong to a home network won't automatically belong to a homegroup. They need a computer running Windows 7, first of all. Then they need to have the homegroup password so that they can join the homegroup.
Top of page
A few things to remember

Here are a few reminders to make your HomeGroup experience as smooth as possible:

*When using a homegroup, make sure all the homegroup PCs are turned on, connected to the network, and not sleeping or hibernating. It might seem pretty obvious that if a PC is turned off, you won't be able to access the shared files on it, but it's easy to forget that—it's happened to me before!

*If you change the homegroup password, enter the new password on all the other homegroup PCs right away. That way, all the PCs stay "in sync." There are more tips like this in HomeGroup: frequently asked questions.

*If you use a laptop from work when you're at home, be aware that domain-joined computers can join a homegroup and access files and printers shared by other people, but for security reasons they can't share their own files and printers.

*If you ever have problems with a homegroup, use the HomeGroup troubleshooter to help resolve them. Open the HomeGroup troubleshooter explains how to do that. Also, in Windows Help and Support, you can find more information to help troubleshoot any problems you might encounter while using a homegroup. For example, see Why can't I create a homegroup? and Why can't I access my homegroup?

#3 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

Join a Homegroup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Join-a-homegroup

Download this Homegroup walkthrough for better understanding. Here’s the download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...39-1b1a859fddc5

Additional information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ng-the-easy-way

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...asked-questions

Please check the links, if nothings working after trying all the steps.

#4 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

*If you use a laptop from work when you're at home, be aware that domain-joined computers can join a homegroup and access files and printers shared by other people, but for security reasons they can't share their own files and printers.

*If you ever have problems with a homegroup, use the HomeGroup troubleshooter to help resolve them. Open the HomeGroup troubleshooter explains how to do that.

The laptop I am using is NOT a work laptop, however, this is the closest thing I have seen to my problem. The computers are on the same homegroup, using the same pw.
The homegroup troubleshooter has been nothing more than useless. Did this solve your problem? NO and then it redirects me to MS, which again, has not been very useful. I appreciate the reply, but I know how to set up a homegroup. What I don't understand is why would the communication be one sided? Is it because the laptop is running home premium?
Thanks again for looking at this.

#5 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

I suppose I should have been a little more descriptive in my first post, but going off of memory from a while ago.
When I had W7 Ultimate on the laptop, everything worked fine. Both computers saw each other in the network map, I was able to create and share folders, blah, blah, blah...
Now it seems like a one way street, without the street.
Why the laptop sees the shared info on the network, but won't add my desktop to the network map or see created shared files is a mystery. And it's not a permission issue. Also, the desktop says it can't discover any devices on the network.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

I always recommend deleting the Homegroup and starting over.

This tutorial is a good one: Use the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 to Share Printers and Files ... :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

I'm not sure if I am explaining this wrong or just being misunderstood, or maybe no one knows. I do appreciate the replies, but none of them seem to address the problem at hand. I have deleted the homegroup and restarted it, that changes nothing. I am thinking this is more along the lines of being a pro vs home premium thing at this point.
My desktop will not show the laptop in the network map, as in doesn't show it at all, like it doesn't exist.
My laptop shows the desktop but will not add it to it's network map. It says these devices are also on the network but can't put them on the network map. It uses the printer that is installed to my desktop. It pulled the drivers from there. It gets it's internet connection from there and can view all my music and documents.
I can't see anything on the laptop when looking from the desktop.
With the same accounts set up on both computers, I cannot remote into either one from either one.

Desktop has w7 pro
Laptop has w7 home premium

Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I'm sorry you are having trouble fixing this problem. Networking computers with Windows 7 is supposed to be easier....but it still can be a pain.

It's not an incompatibility between editions of Windows 7. I run Pro on my Dell, while my mom has Home Premium on her Dell. I had no problems getting the homegroup set up. I'm not sure why it's not working with yours.

You said you can't even remote into either of them....I'm assuming you have Remote Desktop enabled?

Also, can you ping each of them from the other?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Yes, the ability to remote has been configured. The remote desktop ability is different between the two, for sure. The hp version is just like vista hp, doesn't allow incoming RD but will remote out. You can see the difference looking at both windows. Which is what got me thinking it might be the versions.

I haven't tried pinging them, will do so later, but I am sure it will work. It's like they only partially see each other, which is the weird part. The belong to the same homegroup, and before the ultimate version expired, I was able to remote and see EVERYTHING on both pc's. Now it's different and the main change has been that I dropped to hp version of w7.

Thanks for the help and thought though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users