Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not quite sure if I am infected

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 myopic

myopic

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hello bleepingcomputer,

My computer has been freezing with no warning for a few seconds, and then restarting. There are no system logs and it seems to happen randomly. This has happened for quite a while- I am not sure if this is malware related or not. I would really love to have this problem solved, but I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your time, and any help is appreciated.

Moved from AII ~~~boopme.. scanned clean

Edited by boopme, 06 May 2010 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hi myopic - First try to install a new copy of Malwarebytes - You had one listed but I was not sure if it was fully updated - 4073 is current -
To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully
Windows XP:
  • Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important
After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here - You may need to 'double install' (the program will tell you) -
Then run a Quick Scan only and see if it is still clean -
Then we look for other problems -
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

Well...it appears that it is not a malware problem...so let's explore the obvious :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition and how much free space on it?

Typically...freezing can be an indication of system overheating, but the fact that you state it's momentary...tends to nullify that approach.

I guess I'd like to know what you are doing when these "momentary freezes occur".

Do the mouse and the keyboard become ineffective? Exactly how do you determine that the system freezes?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors (not information or warnings) which might provide clues as to what problems might exist? Please read the following before checking Event Viewer: How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#4 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

If your looking at around 1gb, i suggest looking at increasing that or if you have the HDD space, setting a higher Virtual Memory Cache.

gluck!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

-
You can download Speed Fan to keep a good track of the temperatures of the CPU and M/board - It reads directly off your system and will show any heating spikes when doing high usage items (Facebook Games etc) that can cause over heating -

#6 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

System manufacturer and model? dell vostro 400

How much RAM installed? 3 gb

How large is C: partition and how much free space on it? 232 gb/45.5gb

I guess I'd like to know what you are doing when these "momentary freezes occur".

Sometimes I'm playing games like Counter Strike Source and World of Warcraft, but I've experienced this while watching something on Windows media player as well.

Do the mouse and the keyboard become ineffective? Exactly how do you determine that the system freezes?
Everything becomes ineffective- anything I'm doing freezes (for example: I'm watching something, and it freezes at the frame and I hear an annoying chugging sound for the duration, and then it restarts.)

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors (not information or warnings) which might provide clues as to what problems might exist? Please read the following before checking Event Viewer: How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
There are a ton of stuff in the event viewer and I'm not particularly tech savvy enough to know what could cause this, and the first few times my computer crashed, the first thing I checked was the event viewer and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Edited by myopic, 07 May 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

Hi -

Are you able to fully defrag drive C, and when was the last tine it was done -
All the work in the Am I Infected Area has seen programs added then removed - After this you should defrag drive C -
(Not sure if it was part of the processes you performed)

Thank You -

#8 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

Auslogics Disk Defrag
Clusters 61018886
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation at 3/16/2010 6:25:17 AM
Completed defragmentation at 3/16/2010 12:41:33 PM
Elapsed time 06:16:15
Total Files 165906
Total Directories 13529
Fragmented Files 49162
Defragmented Files 49162
Skipped Files 0
Fragmentation Before 72.53%
Fragmentation After 0.00%

EDIT: Just crashed and checked event logs, these are the application logs closest to the time of the crash

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.[/quote]
[quote]Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11714
Date: 5/8/2010
Time: 10:06:52 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
Product: LogMeIn Hamachi -- Error 1714. The older version of LogMeIn Hamachi cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1612.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 38 41 37 34 44 45 46 {8A74DEF
0008: 44 2d 41 32 32 34 2d 34 D-A224-4
0010: 39 43 43 2d 41 42 38 30 9CC-AB80
0018: 2d 34 45 38 38 42 43 37 -4E88BC7
0020: 33 30 31 32 35 7d 30125}[/quote]

EDIT: Deleted information items listed, just taking up space...info items provide no useful data ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#9 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

it has been a few days since the last reply, can anyone help me please?

thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Looks to me as if you ought to uninstall LogMeIn Hamachi....Net Framework 1.1....and then install MS.NET Framework 3.5, SP1

Error 1612: The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

1714 Error: "The ASP.NET process account does not exist or is not configured properly. See the Troubleshooting appendix in the ACT! Premium for Web Administrator's Guide for assistance."

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php. Net Framework 1.1 is pretty much obsolete today, has been replaced by later versions. Can be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

#11 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hello, at first uninstalling it seemed like it helped- I was crash-less for a few days, but I crashed again just now.

Thanks again in advance.

EDIT: Actually I am unable to uninstall Hamachi-

I tried uninstalling it through the add/remove program menu and it said I didn't have the source file thing. I deleted the folder and deleted what I could off the registry, and it disappeared from the add/remove program list. I tried installing a new one so I could uninstall it properly again, but it says "Logmein Hamachi version [PREVIOUSVERSION] has been detected on your computer. Would you like to proceed with the update?" and clicking yes results in "the older version of logmein Hamachi cannot be removed. contact your technical support group."

Edited by myopic, 15 May 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#12 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

Hello, at first uninstalling it seemed like it helped- I was crash-less for a few days, but I crashed again just now.

Thanks again in advance.

EDIT: Actually I am unable to uninstall Hamachi-

I tried uninstalling it through the add/remove program menu and it said I didn't have the source file thing. I deleted the folder and deleted what I could off the registry, and it disappeared from the add/remove program list. I tried installing a new one so I could uninstall it properly again, but it says "Logmein Hamachi version [PREVIOUSVERSION] has been detected on your computer. Would you like to proceed with the update?" and clicking yes results in "the older version of logmein Hamachi cannot be removed. contact your technical support group."

I can't seem to edit this post so i'll add new information in a new one

I just crashed again and these are the system event logs that sound like it could have something to do with this that happened around the time of the crash

Service Control Manager
"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cercsr6

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.""]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."[/url]

Redbook
"This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt. If the reported date for errors is not in chronological order (most recent at top), then you may want to sort that column to make it so...before saving the file.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#14 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:29 AM

how exactly do I scan? just opening bluescreenview comes up empty- my minidump folder is empty.

EDIT: I set CCleaner (I used it a few days ago) to delete memory dumps as well- not sure if that could've done it.

However, I don't think it effects anything as my latest crash did not provide any memory dumps.

Edited by myopic, 17 May 2010 - 05:33 AM.

#15 myopic

myopic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hi sorry for bumping this but my problem is still there and I'm getting quite desperate for any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users