Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

down loader?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

:flowers: I have a request I have a problem down loading a up date for my sonar unit. They say I can use another down loader to get it to down load! I have windows XP. So what is a good down loader to use. Lowrance says use a stand alone one? It just gives me a error report ever time I try.I didn't even know you could do that??
So I would appreciate any help!!!
:trumpet: :thumbsup:

Edited by DaveyCS, 06 May 2010 - 06:24 PM.

"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hello, I have a few questions that may allow me or another to gelp you along,..
What is the make and Model of the Lowrance unit? How are you downloading now? What downloader are you using? Are you on dial up?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:21 AM

:thumbsup: It is a LMS 520C update from their site. It say a java update,then download from there? I just use what is on my XP.on Wind Stream high speed. Is this enough info?
I appreciate it. :flowers: :trumpet:

Davey Crockett Sr

#4 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hi DaveyCS,

On this page:

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine...oftware-Update/

Underneath where it says, '- Install This Update From the Web -'

Click on the link that says: PC Win98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista and download the file called LMS-52XC_250.exe to your desktop. This file is the stand-alone installer. Just use the normal Windows download process to download this file. It is only about 9 MB so your broadband connection should be able to download that file quickly and easily.

Then follow the instructions immediately above where it says PC Win98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista and update your unit using the stand-alone installer.

Please post back if you need further assistance. :thumbsup:

P.S. Thanks to boopme for getting the required information. :flowers:

Edited by marktreg, 07 May 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#5 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

:thumbsup: marktreg, I've tried that several times and it still shows error? That is why I asked about a installer!
But I'll try again...... I even tried it on sond computer and my daughters..
Thank you Very Much :flowers: :trumpet:

Davey Crockett Sr

#6 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

:thumbsup: Mr marktreg,I just down loaded it and tried it. I made sure Java was updated also. It installed on desk top. Now when I try to save or run the update to a card it says they are java protected? What is this? Do you have to format a SD memory Card? I'm useingf a 16G that I bought new and never have used.
Thank You For Your Help, I Appreciate It!!.....

:trumpet: :inlove: :flowers:

Davey Crockett Sr

#7 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Please install Java this way and check that it is working OK.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 20 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says JDK 6 Update 20 (JDK or JRE)
  • Click the Download JRE button to the right
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6u20 with JavaFX 1 License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add or Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java™ 6) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH CheckedApplications and Applets
      Trace and Log Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
To test your Java Run-time, you may go to this page http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
When all is well, you should see Java Version: 1.6.0_20 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

You can certainly try formatting the SD card, although I believe they usually come ready for use.

Than try the '- Install This Update From the Web -' again.

If that doesn't work, try the stand-alone installer again.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

Edited by marktreg, 07 May 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#8 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

:thumbsup: Mr marktreg, That did it! I was able to down load every thing. Had to format the card but it worked.

Thank You Very Much....I Appreciate It Very Much......
:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:
Davey C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#9 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

Excellent news, DaveyCS. Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 08 May 2010 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users