Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmouth

Bigmouth

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi i've been thinking of reformatting my pc but i want to know what i need to do first before i reformat my hard drive (never done this before). thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

1)The original Windows disk & COA.
2)Make sure all of your data is backed up to disk (cd or DVD), a second partition, or a second hard drive.
3)The drivers that make your internet connection work..NIC or modem drivers. That way you can start you updates as soon as the basic install is done.
4)A plan before hand on what you want. I would suggest at least two partitions. C: for your programs and recoverable data, and a second D: for things you can't replace. Like mp3, pictures, creative data (school and buiness work) anything you can't reload from a disk or download again for free. It does not seem like a big deal now but if you were spanked by a virus or windows being corrupted you will be glad you did.
I'm sure I missed somethings but you will be getting more ideas. The people on this board are extremely helpful and kind. Unless you can't use the computer don't rush. If you make a mistake you could easly have to do another install to correct it. All in all it is very easy and straight forward and I don't expect you will have a problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:13 AM

Is this XP you want to re-install or 98 bBig?
If XP set the boot sequence in the bios to cdrom as 1st boot, delete all partitions and then creat a new one then install.
If 98 get a 98 boot disk after setting the 1st boot as A (Floppy) fdisk and again delete all partitions, create a new one and format it.
The thing is about 2 partitions on one disk is that if the disk dies all is lost. I recommend backing up to a second hdd.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:01 AM

Is this XP you want to re-install or 98 bBig?
If XP set the boot sequence in the bios to cdrom as 1st boot, delete all partitions and then creat a new one then install.
If 98 get a 98 boot disk after setting the 1st boot as A (Floppy) fdisk and again delete all partitions, create a new one and format it.
The thing is about 2 partitions on one disk is that if the disk dies all is lost. I recommend backing up to a second hdd.

This is good advice, if you have a second hard drive.

#5 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:11 AM

Acklan, please understand I was not trying to undermine your point number 4 but perhaps clarify what could happen

Edited by Wolfeymole, 02 October 2005 - 03:12 AM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

No offense taken. You are right. I was just making another point. If I seemed a little sharp that was not my intention. I was just trying to add one more point. You are right it is much better to have two drives. I run a 13gb C: and a 80 gb D:. All my programs get installed on C: and all non replaceable or creative work on D: . You are spot on. I just made the assumption he only had one drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users