Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Casual gamer and Photoshop Elements user

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DG2007

DG2007

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

My current laptop is getting slower and slower and the monitor part is beginning to fall apart. I like Dell (this one has been fantastic but it's getting old) and can get a discount through my husband's work.

*** I'm seriously considering a Dell Studio 14 but I'm not sure which processor to get - any advice is welcome! Thanks!

*** With my needs as listed below do you think I could get away with an i3 or should I go with the i5 or i7? I do like to have multiple windows open at a time, even when running Sims 3 and/or Photoshop so whichever processor would make things run smoother would be great!

My budget for the new computer is: $1000-1500 possibly more

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, internet, photo editing and gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word), Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 6, Google Chrome

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Sims 3, sometimes WoW but currently not installed on this laptop (not sure if I'll play again)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Often - I like to keep several things open at once, like when editing photos I like to run my email and internet browser.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes a ton of pictures

Thanks for your advice!
Diane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

The i7 lappy is not a bad setup ...I would not go near a i3 as they are low end specs.
MCP
MSDST

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

This should do:

Posted Image

Add to that a 9 Cell battery, few other accessories and you are good to go!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 17 May 2010 - 06:03 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 DG2007

DG2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the advice! I am looking into the Dell you recommended. I love my current Dell so I'm comfortable getting another.

However, I was looking at the Sony website - my husband has a Sony and he loves it, plus I have a Sony camera so my memory stick would be compatible with a Sony laptop (no adapter necessary). Could anyone give me advice on these Sony laptops? Sony Laptop - CW Series. I'm thinking with an i5 processor . . . anything else I should know about these?

THANKS!
Diane

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

It looks like you will have to customize the Sony CW series notebook, keeping the specs. from the Studio 14 as reference.

Ultimately comes down to your personal preference. :blink:

#6 DG2007

DG2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Which video card would be better between the two options (ideally, which will run Sims 3 the best)?

* NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 310M GPU with 256MB DDRD3 dedicated VRAM (comes with the Sony)

* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GB (Dell)

I really appreciate the help I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff, even though I've been doing a ton of research.
Thanks!
Diane

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

Glad you asked, the HD 5450 1GB it is. :blink:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 20 May 2010 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users