Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card Woes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tianbi

tianbi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi :thumbsup: I was trying to breathe some life into our old computer by buying a new video card. I like to play DDO and was hoping to get some better performance (currently running everything on low with a fps of about 15 idle - yuck). Below is a link for our computer:

system specs

We've upgraded to 1GB ram, installed a larger hdd and we haven't had the onboard video enabled for about the last 5 years, but everything else remains untouched.

I did a bit of shopping around and ended up buying a HIS Radeon HD 4350 512mb AGP (card details) from newegg.

I thought it would be compatible, but when I installed it and powered up, I get no display whatsoever. Everything powers up fine and the fan on the new card is working, just no display and the monitor is idle (flashing orange light). If I put our old geforce back in, it works fine. I tried:

- re-sitting the card several times
- adjusted bios settings
- cleared my cmos (jumper settings)
- uninstalled all my old drivers/cleared registry/installed ati drivers & hotfix
- switched power supplies (both are generics)

..and no dice. I'm wondering if my generic psu is the problem or if my computer is just too darn old to support this card. The psu in there right now is a generic 480w (fairly new one too, about 2 weeks old). A new system isn't feasible right now (even thou I'd love it!). I'm at a loss for what to do, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :flowers:

Edited by tianbi, 06 May 2010 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Your computer is AGP 2.0 (4X) the board is 4x compatible so in theory it should work . You stated you were not using on board video before. What was the card you were using before then? There is a slim chance the power supply is at fault depending on the amperage rating. On the side of the PSU there is generally a sticker that states the output voltages, under the 12V+ it gives an amperage rating what is this number? All power supplies are not created equal you can have one that is 600 watts and only 20 amps and one that is 400 rated at 35+ amps the 400 will handle more then the 600.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Before this card I was using a nVidia Geforce 6200 256mb AGP that we purchased about 4 years ago. My current PSU has a 16amp +12V and that's it. I'm leaning towards that being the problem, but I wasn't 100% sure. This is the PSU that is currently in there: current psu. I purchased it before the new video card.

I shopped around on newegg again yesterday and found this PSU new psu. It has a single 35amp rail. Will it be sufficient to power this new card? I'm pretty new to the PSU scene, usually I just grabbed something with adequate wattage for my needs.

Thank you for your help :thumbsup:

#4 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Bump.

I installed a new PSU now as well, a Corsair 400w with 30A on the 12V+ line. Still encountering the same problem, no signal at all right from boot. I'm officially at a loss, I really thought this would fix it. Is my motherboard just too old? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

Just curious if your card was a victim of a manufacture defect.

I know you said this card is new, but it does happen.

I take it there's no video output at all, even during the POST, is this correct?

I know this doesn't seem possible, but have you double checked that the video card is fully locked into the slot and making full contact? Sometimes screwing the bracket screw into place causes a new card to rise a bit out of the slot. So check that closely.
Also if this slot has not been used until now, perhaps the contacts have oxidized a bit. See if there is a way to clean those contacts a bit, make sure the card is fully seated and level in the slot. Try it again and post back the results.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

You could try booting into windows using the 'onboard graphics' and then (making sure all drivers are installed) go into the 'Display options' change to your AGP video card setting it as the primary display, and then although not best practice! unplug the monitor from the onboard graphics and carefully plug it into the new card(all whilst the computers turned on).

Edited by 666philb, 15 May 2010 - 03:26 AM.

#7 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

I was wondering about the card being defective, but I don't have access to another computer to test it unfortunately. The fan works on the card, so it's receiving power at least just no signal to my monitor. Yes, we're lacking signal right from post, the monitor sits idle with it's orange flashing light.

I've tried re-seating the card several times to no avail. I even ran a soft paintbrush through the AGP port to check for dust/etc but it was clean. The AGP port definitely works, it's been in constant use for the past 5 years with the old card (Geforce 6200), and works just fine when I switch the cards back.

I tried booting using the onboard while the card was in there, and it refuses to boot with the onboard while there's an AGP card installed (same problem as just having the HIS in, no signal). The only settings in my BIOS are "AGP/Onboard" or "PCI". Tried clearing my CMOS again too last night, that was a no go too.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to use an old vga crt with the card, don't suppose that could be an issue? Seems kinda far-fetched, but I'm at my wits end here lol. A friend also suggested that perhaps my motherboard itself doesn't supply enough power to the AGP port (regardless of PSU), is that a possibility?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

A friend also suggested that perhaps my motherboard itself doesn't supply enough power to the AGP port (regardless of PSU), is that a possibility?

BINGO!

You hit the nail on the head!

There are AGP 3.0 and AGP 2.0 and there are some AGP slots that have a higher voltage than others but 1.5 volts is the norm. But some have 3.3 volts and the same goes with some AGP cards they require 3.3 Volts from the slot to run correctly.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 May 2010 - 12:15 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Check your motherboard manual for the voltage of the AGP slot and its specs for if it is 1.0 2.0 or 3.0 compliant.

Check your video card specs as well against your motherboards specs.

Some motherboards have a keyed slot to prevent the wrong voltage card from being installed and some don't.

#10 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Motherboard specs list 1.5v 4x/8x. A check with CPU-Z lists AGP version 3.0. Video card requirements seem to be in-line with what I have card reqs

In theory, I guess it should work. I noticed my old Nvidia has another slot keyed into it I noticed that the Radeon lacks, but both fit the AGP port the same way. Is that related at all?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

The Accelerated Graphics Port (also called Advanced Graphics Port, often shortened to AGP) is a high-speed point-to-point channel for attaching a graphics card to a computer's motherboard, primarily to assist in the acceleration of 3D computer graphics. Since 2004, AGP is being progressively phased out in favor of PCI Express. However, as of mid 2008 new AGP cards and motherboards are still available for purchase, though OEM driver support is minimal.

Intel released the first version of AGP; appropriately titled "AGP specification 1.0," in 1997.[7] It included both the 1x and 2x speeds.[4] Specification 2.0 documented AGP 4X and 3.0 documented 8X.[8][9] Available versions include:

AGP 1x
A 32-bit channel operating at 66 MHz resulting in a maximum data rate of 266 megabytes per second (MB/s), doubled from the 133 MB/s transfer rate of PCI bus 33 MHz / 32-bit; 3.3 V signaling.
'
AGP 2x
A 32-bit channel operating at 66 MHz double pumped to an effective 133 MHz resulting in a maximum data rate of 533 MB/s; signaling voltages the same as AGP 1x;

AGP 4x
A 32-bit channel operating at 66 MHz quad pumped to an effective 266 MHz resulting in a maximum data rate of 1066 MB/s (1 GB/s); 1.5 V signaling;

AGP 8x
A 32-bit channel operating at 66 MHz, strobing eight times per clock, delivering an effective 533 MHz resulting in a maximum data rate of 2133 MB/s (2 GB/s); 0.8 V signaling.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

OK I think I was over looking something here. My bad...I rechecked your systems specs and found you have the compaq version of my motherboard.

I own the Asus A7V8X the origional Asus version of the motherboard which is my main system that I use 100% of the time, yours is the LA version hence A7V8X-LA.

I noticed yours has the 333 FSB, way cool, LOL, mine lacks that ability since it lacks the 333 FSB sticker on the SouthBridge chip. :thumbsup:

I have the same exact video card you was using, if you check my computer specs on my profile, you'll see I am using the PNY Nividia 6200 AGP 256 Mhz Video card.

So seems even though your board out does mine as far as the FSB being 333 Mhz and I'm on the 266 Mhz FSB. Were looking at similar systems here, or close anyways.

You have a Video card that has a RAMDAC chip at 512 Mhz, I believe thats DDR3, but at 64 Bit. I think your motherboard supports up to 32 Bit cards.

#13 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for all your help :thumbsup: At this point I'm just going to return the card and call it a day. Better luck next time.

The main reason I was after an upgrade was to increase my gaming performance a little. I don't expect "oh wow" graphics, but something less laggy/more fps would be nice while playing DDO. Is there a video card on the market right now that would work with my computer that you know of? Or would investing in some more ram be a better choice?

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Well I'm maxed out right now at 3 Gb using 3 sticks of 1 Gb PC3200 of 266/333/400 DDR Memory.

My motherboard book says can only support up to 3 Gb, using 1 Gb sticks, I have not tried to use a RAM kit as of yet to see if I could add more than 1 Gb to each slot without losing stability.

Im using PNY brand right now but I did have K-Byte brand 1 Gb PC3200 sticks, but when I went to buy a third stick, they only had PNY brand and I don't like mixing different brands together so I bought 3 sticks of PNY.

So these configuration should work for you too.

I am not sure what you have for RAM now, but I know I don't have any problems running the known to be laggy SecondLife chat program.

Gotta run, working on a car for a friend. BBL.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 May 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#15 tianbi

tianbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

My board can support 2BG max (although HP recommends 1). I'm running 2x 512mb pc2700 sticks now. PC2700 is the max for this board too. If I upgrade my ram, it'll be 2x1GB sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users