Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSSQL server on windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Recently I have been trying to install Microsoft's SQL server express 2008 management studio on a windows 7 machine. This has come of no avail since every one of my attempts has resulted in an error. Or I shouldn't say error, but more like it brings me to the SQL server installation center every time. I have tried to come up with the necessary requirements, AKA windows Power shell, Windows installer 4.5 and nothing has come out of that either. I keep getting messages saying that the articles I'm reading do not apply to me. If anyone could possibly lend a hand, that'd be wonderful. Thanks.

Regards,
your tech geek Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

You do have the specified MS.NET Framework 2.0 installed, right?

Louis

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I have even better than that. I have the latest version 4.0 I think. Or at least that's what I saw the last time I looked at my programs. Let me know if there's any information you need.

Thanks,
Your Geek Chromebuster

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hi again,
After some more research, I have come to the conclusion that ending up at the installation center is what is supposed to happen. It was in a tutorial by Symantec, believe it or not. I followed it, for the database engine itself was installed already by either VS express CSharp 2008 or visual web developer 2008 (I can't remember which), and I clicked on system configuration checker. Well, the checker asks me to "browse for SQLServer installation media". What is meant by "Media"? It makes no sense to me if there was no CD rom provided with the install or anything like that. And then next, the tutorial told me to wait till the checker was done, and afterward, it would automatically bring me to the next step including configuring the services behind everything. Further guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Chromebuster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users