Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gerb

gerb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi I would appreciate any help on the following, my son's computer will not load windows xp it gets to the welcome screen but when I click on an account it just plays the welcome sound then say's it's saving the settings and logging off, all I can do is restart or shut down.
I have tried starting in safe mode also tried sending to last good setting in bios but no joy. I have tried to use the recovery disc but this will not load also I have tried to change the boot sequence to load the disc with no success
The computer had up-to-date anti virus,spywear and firewall
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

I'm wondering why wouldn't windows recovery start if you specified in BIOS that you want it to start from CD!? Idk..
I'd try to take out hard drive and put it inside some other pc and try to reinstall windows on that another pc, then put it back into yours. Don't have any other suggestions. :thumbsup:

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:52 PM

hi what happened in safemode ? if it can boot to safe mode, open system properties
window and click "advanced", then "startup and recovery" and uncheck the "Automatic restart" option. Click apply.
Try clearing all the items in the startup list and uninstall the lastest installed software / hardware.
Try this out and get back with more detail.

Else you can try doing a repair installation.

#4 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:56 AM

I just recalled that i had similar case few years ago. The cause was hadware or driver incompatibility (if i can remember it right). I think it occurred because windows detects conflict between hardware or some driver and attempts to restart. In my case, i was building a pc with agp slot, but put in pci card.. so it gave me hard time.
Have you done any changes to your pc before it start restarting by itself?

#5 gerb

gerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for replies iv'e got a mate to take the hard drive and try with his computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users