Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPTD.sys and Debugging Mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Flubberman

Flubberman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hey guys, I've got a problem with my Asus N10J running on Windows XP Professional, SP3.
Before you continue reading, treat me like I'm computer illiterate (Because I really am with respect to boot-related problems).

I'll start off with the specs found on the sticker that came with the laptop :thumbsup: :
Intel Atom N270
2GB Memory
Graphic: nVidia GeForce 9300M GS
VRAM:256MB
250GB HDD

Down to business. My little netbook decided to do the BSOD this afternoon which happens rarely, like once a month. Only difference this time is that when I boot up normally, I just get a blank (Black) screen after the windows loading screen. I've tried running in Safe Mode but get hit with a "press esc to cancel loading sptd.sys" message. I've tried pressing esc, pressing nothing and pressing everything. My screen and netbook will freeze soon after the message pops up. Yes, I've tried scouring the internet to try to get passed the sptd.sys message but from the solutions I've seen, a normal reboot is required. If this problem can't be fixed without a clean install, would it be possible to backup any files on the HDD? I should also say that Xpress Gate is working fine and can read music files but I really need to save word documents and university work.

On a slightly positive note, my little netbook can actually boot up in Debugging Mode. But!... Approximately 1-2mins after logging in, my whole computer freezes and the hard drive activity indicator goes dark. Oh, and the start up time is really slow for some reason meaning I can't open any programs in the 1-2mins. IMPORTANT: When I first started my netbook in Debugging Mode, Symantec picked up two threats which I managed to catch a glimpse of before the whole system froze. It was type: backdoor.something.something (not trojan) and the path was the Windows/System32 folder.

Additional Info:
No, I haven't installed/updated anything on my laptop recently besides Bumptop a few days ago.
I've booted up at least 5 times since the Bumptop install so I doubt it's the source of my problem.
My computer BSOD'd with Ventrilo running as well as Solitaire (I did say my netbook takes 1-2mins to start up right? Solitaire loads up in 10 seconds so I play that til the rest of my netbook catches up)
Also IMPORTANT is that theres a virus currently going through my University's computers. I've connected to the network with this netbook today so I could be infected.

I'm going to look for a WinXP Install Disc tomorrow and try to do a Repair. Ask if you need more details and I'll try to provide as best I can.

Thanks in advance!

Flub

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2010 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users