Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PRINTERS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gbull

gbull

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

I don't do much printing and the Dell AIO922 that I have has always worked well.

I've just replaced the ink cartridges for the second time only (printer is about 5 yrs old) and the machine will now not print. Nor will it copy (but it will scan!). When asked to print it goes through the motions and opertes and tries to print but there is no image on the fed paper.

OS is WinXP.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and used original disk for set up, drivers, etc but to no avail. All connections cheked and OK as are the cartridge insertions.

I gather that this has been a common occurence and have tried various troubleshooting methods but all to no avail.

Suggestions on how to fix gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

I don't do much printing and the Dell AIO922 that I have has always worked well.

I've just replaced the ink cartridges for the second time only (printer is about 5 yrs old) and the machine will now not print. Nor will it copy (but it will scan!). When asked to print it goes through the motions and opertes and tries to print but there is no image on the fed paper.

OS is WinXP.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and used original disk for set up, drivers, etc but to no avail. All connections cheked and OK as are the cartridge insertions.

I gather that this has been a common occurence and have tried various troubleshooting methods but all to no avail.

Suggestions on how to fix gratefully accepted.

What, if any, error messages are you getting?

#3 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

No message just that no image after print process. Have had other info suggesting that the cartridge heads may be blocked and about to try the fremedy.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

A very common mistake is forgetting to take the tape off the cartridges. Double check that.

Take the cartridges out and dab them on a damp paper towel. If you get ink they are flowing.

If they are not you can try getting a small plastic butter tub or something and put about 1/2 inch of hot tap water in it.
Soak the cartridges for a bit. If the color of the water changes they are flowing.
Dry them off with a paper towel, cover the print head with it and try shaking them really hard.

Sometimes the cartridges need to be primed.
I also assume genuine Dell cartridges and not refills right?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for reply. Greatly appreciated.

Protection strips removed.

The ink is flowing OK.

The cartridges are new and unused. It's bizarre that this is the very first time that I've had this problem and suspected that the driver is a bit corrupt.

Any more opinions?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the software
Uninstall it, unplug the usb cable & reboot.
Reinstall & plug the usb cable in when prompted

Have you tried cleaning the print heads?
There should be a utility somewhere in the software that does that

You could also try this from the Dell website
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

After trying the suggestions here without success I have discovered that the printer will print with just the BLACK cartridge so I have sent back the colour cartridge for test and possible replacement. The ink supply was fine and the view is that there is some fixing or connection problem.

Thanks to all for being so helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users