Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASP vs. PHP?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 g2gsr93

g2gsr93

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

I'm building a website for a small distribution business. They have some strange things that they want to happen, but I've figured out the "storyboard" that I will need to make those things happen. My main question is when using SQL to store and draw customer information, which language would be suggested, ASP or PHP?

A little background info: I am familiar with html, have done a bit of rtml through yahoo small business sites, javascript, and have written a few programs using excel/access and visual basic. I'm in the process of learning and setting up the SQL database.

Thanks for looking!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Which SQL based RDBMS (relational database management system) are you going to use ? There are many like mySQL, Microsoft SQL, postgreSQL etc.
ASP is designed by Microsoft and is therefore better supports Microsoft SQL. Both are proprietary software and you have to pay to use them. postgreSQL, mySQL are open source and PHP supports them best.

ASP is based on Visual Basic. ASP.net is based on Visual Basic.net. So if you have prior experience of VB, then you may find ASP easy. On the other hand, PHP is very easy to learn and very powerful when it comes to features and applications.

#3 g2gsr93

g2gsr93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

Unfortunately I'm looking to do it with open source software, so although it appears that ASP might be slightly easier to learn based on my VB experience, it's looking like I'll have to learn PHP. Oh well, I like the challenge!

I was planning on using mySQL unless there is another open source RDBMS that you might recommend.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

mySQL is the most widely used RDBMS in the world. PHP easily supports mySQL. Most of the webhosts supports PHP and mySQL. So mySQL is the best choice.

You may want to start learning by installing either WAMP (Apache HTTP server + mySQL + PHP) or XAMPP (Apache + mySQL + PHP + Perl) on your Windows or Linux machine. EasyPHP is like WAMP but also includes easy to install CMS modules (like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla etc). Install only one of the packages.

PHP tutorial links :
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/
http://www.tizag.com/mysqlTutorial/

#5 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Which SQL based RDBMS (relational database management system) are you going to use ? There are many like mySQL, Microsoft SQL, postgreSQL etc.
ASP is designed by Microsoft and is therefore better supports Microsoft SQL. Both are proprietary software and you have to pay to use them. postgreSQL, mySQL are open source and PHP supports them best.

ASP is based on Visual Basic. ASP.net is based on Visual Basic.net. So if you have prior experience of VB, then you may find ASP easy. On the other hand, PHP is very easy to learn and very powerful when it comes to features and applications.

Keep in mind. ASP.NET isn't JUST VB.NET. C# is often used more often than VB.NET for this type of development. If you're wanting to take the MS approach, get your hands on Visual Studio .NET, Microsoft SQL Management Studio, and learn about interfacing with the databases using ASP.NET.

I've done quite a bit of this at work; it's not very difficult.

#6 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I would go for PHP for the reason Romeo stated, that PHP and MySQL go well together.
I can't give an opinion on ASP but PHP will let you do pretty much anything you need with out too much hassle.

A simple MySQL statement:
$results = mysql_query("SELECT password FROM myDatabase WHERE username='aUser'");
echo mysql_result($results, 0, "password");

That will display the password of "aUser" to the browser, providing this database exists and you are connected to it of cource.
Not too complicated now is it.

Hope that helps, Wolfy87.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Whether you want to use ASP or PHP is up to you. As Romeo29 stated, PHP has good support for MySQl, but so does ASP. You can use either technology without any sort of licensing issues. The argument that open source has better support is bunk. The argument that open source is somehow superior because there are more eyes on it really doesn't pan out. In the real world if you turn out a superior product, people are going to use it. If there is a problem with ASP, there is going to be plenty of noise about it, probably more so since it belongs to Microsoft.

Use what you want to use.

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

I agree with you. But if you have to buy ASP.net, then why on earth does it clearly state on Microsoft's site that "ASP.net is a free technology"? I swear to God that I read that one there during my first quest for a web development platform to be interested in. And if mySQl was not supported by ASP.net, why would I currently have a download of the latest release of the mojo portal content management system with the mySQl data layer inside of it's bin directory? And I also know of some who use the express visual web developer software. And then, to connect to MySQl, though the driver is only supported by the professional version of Visual Studio, it is quite possible to make connections using ODBC and then Microsoft data link using .UDL files, isn't it? Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my take on it.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#9 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

ASP, IIS and Microsoft SQL are proprietary.

Reasons to avoid proprietary software:

-You have to pay a bunch for IIS/MSSQL + development tools
-Company will release patches/updates in the new version of their product
-Possible incongruities between updates even if you buy the new version (ie some function that you relied on becomes deprecated and you're SOL)
-Licensing fees
-Less online tutorials due to less people using it
-Probable security holes/months before patch is released even when bug is found
-A lot of configuration

Reasons to use Open Source Software:
-Completely free
-Bugs are patched out before they ever become a problem because can read the code and find new ways to attack then report a vulnerability
-Exploits are patched out hours after they're found
-Extremely secure
-Dozens of dev tools/free online tutorials
-Most package managers such as apt in Ubuntu/Debian will install the server tools automatically with a few commands
-Updates itself

Go with a LAMP

Linux +
Apache +
Mysql +
Php

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Reasons to avoid proprietary software:

-You have to pay a bunch for IIS/MSSQL + development tools
-Company will release patches/updates in the new version of their product
-Possible incongruities between updates even if you buy the new version (ie some function that you relied on becomes deprecated and you're SOL)
-Licensing fees
-Less online tutorials due to less people using it
-Probable security holes/months before patch is released even when bug is found
-A lot of configuration

-There is not a lot of configuration to get IIS running on a Windows machine, Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components, turn on IIS and your done!
-I have not yet paid for IIS, sure you'll have to pay for the OS, but apart from that, there are no licencing fees for IIS or any of its components.
-I would not say there are less tutorials, I code websites in both ASP and PHP and have not had a problem yet where I haven't been able to find help online or a walkthrough of some sort(ASP Tutorials).
-Code for ASP can be written in notepad or any other number of FREE programs, just like PHP.
-ASP is not bound to MSSQL, it is quite simple to set it up to work with mySQL (open source) or, dare I say it, Access Databases.

When it really comes down to it, it is up to you whether you use ASP or PHP, it may even vary from project to project, what ever you feel more comfortable using.

I am not or ever will be a M$ fan boy, and more than half my websites ARE based on Linux/PHP/mySQL machines.

Edited by KamakaZ, 01 July 2010 - 05:55 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

all I have to say is ... thank you! You basically saved my life. LOL! Now I can feel rejuvinated in my mission of learning as much as I can about Microsoft and it's technologies. I was just about to give up there for a minute.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

If you happen to be a student, I can help you get access to free applications from Microsoft also.

#13 g2gsr93

g2gsr93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'm actually a high school teacher. I'm just building a small site for my dad's company as a little side summer job. Thanks though, I do appreciate it.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

Do you have an .edu email? You can get free software for your students.

#15 g2gsr93

g2gsr93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

No, its a .org email; public high school. Might still work, but I'm not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users