Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP S/Pack 2 fails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frustr8d2

Frustr8d2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

My attempts to install Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 have repeatedly failed.

Every time I run it, I get an “Access is denied” error and warnings that it did not complete satisfactorily.

I read up on the Microsoft Windows site on this problem and based on their advice I …

(1) Created a Registry backup using rstrui.exe,
(2) Enabled Verbose Logging,
(3) Re-ran the Service Pack install (until it failed) and
(4) Opened the setupapi.log file looking for “Error 5: Access is denied” logs.

The only reference to the "Error 5: Access is denied" message in the setupapi.log file references: “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot\Minimal\vds”

My reading of the Windows advice is that I would need to change the permissions on this "Minimal\vds" directory

However, when I run “regedit” I can drill down to as far as: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot

… but my problem is that I CANNOT SEE ANY reference within "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot" to either the “Minimal” or “vds” sub-directories!!!

Question: What do I do if I cannot see this entry in the registry? If I can't see it I can't edit it.

Note that I tried manually adding a “New” entry (key) titled “Minimal” under “Safeboot” but then I get an error saying “Already exists” (despite the fact that I cannot see it)!

As an aside there are approximately 100 entries under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot – that all look rather strange - an earlier virus maybe (and each entry appends one more character to the previous entry), i.e.

\$%&'()*+
\$%&'()*+,
\$%&'()*+,-
\$%&'()*+,-/
\$%&'()*+,-/0

etc till it gets to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'(

Any suggestions?

I have also encountered another problem that may be related to this. Earlier today I tried removing some software (a Web Content Filter provided by my DSL vendor) from the PC - but when trying to remove it, the remove fails as it insists that I must be logged on as "Administrator". When I check my user rights, I appear to have Administrator rights, so this is puzzling. Bearing in mind I am using XP Home Edition, I then booted up under SAFE mode and logged in using the "Administrator" UserID - but the specific software that I am trying to remove still does not allow me to remove it as it does not see me as having Administrator rights!

Any assistance would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

The instructions/cautions for installing SP2...varied according to the manufacturer of the system.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Frustr8d2

Frustr8d2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hi Louis - not sure what you mean by "system manufacturer" - do you mean Acer, Dell, HP, etc. This PC was "assembled" for my son - so not a brand name per se. Uses Intel ® Core ™ 2 CPU 6300 1,86GHz with 1GB RAM

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

First thing I would suggest...update to SP3, rather than SP2, if you already have SP1 installed.

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

You may want to look at MS KB, Access Is Denied When Attempting to Install SP2 or SP3.

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

if you started with service pack none (the earliest retail, oem and upgrade cd's) you have to install sp1a before it will accept sp2 or sp3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

There can be other reasons but It looks like Hamluis covered those.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

I've used this guide before and haven't had any issues installing service packs
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp.htm

#7 Frustr8d2

Frustr8d2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

Thanks everyone.

The PC was already on Service Pack 1 when I started. I initially tried going directly to SP3, but that failed. So I then tried first doing SP2, but that also failed.

I have worked through the guide reference by "hamluis" in his 3:48 posting, viz. "MS KB, Access Is Denied When Attempting to Install SP2 or SP3" - and created and ran the 'Reset.cmd' file they proposed - but that does not seem to have solved the problem ... because I am still finding "DoRegistryUpdates failed" error messages in the svcpack.log file .... which as they put it suggests that "This indicates that an issue is preventing the registry update".

So I am still a bit stuck - but will pursue again over the weekend.

Thanks Joe_C - I will also look at your suggestion.

(As an aside I am using AVAST - and I see that others have logged problems with SP3 and Avast)

Question: What is the worst case scenario? If I am unable to resolve these registry etc problems and cannot upgrade to SP3 (and apply any later patches), then what is my alternative course of action? Re-image entire machine?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:00 AM

Well...when SP2 came out, I had problems installing it on a system...very similar to yours, I think. The install would proceed so far and then I would receive "denied access" errors and the install would attempt to undo what had been done.

Been a long time...but I believe that I stopped using Windows Update...downloaded the package to my hard drive...and installed from the hard drive (after running chkdsk /r on my system, running full malware scans).

Depending on what system you have...one thing that could be done...slipstream SP3 into the existing XP install CD and do a repair install of XP. This won't work with recovery/restore disks supplied by OEMs (HP, Gateway, etc.) but will work with either a MS OEM/System Builder CD or a retail CD. That's probably the path I would tred, since the slipstreamed CD will be needed in the future anyway (repair installs and running sfc /scannow).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users