Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hello people, My name is Mitchell and i have a little problem,

I recently bought the HD 5850 Graphics card from ATI, After a big shock on the telephone with the manufacturer i found out that on my Conroe 1333-D667 motherboard the PCI-E slots are not 2.0, and the last BIOS update from the website was in 2008. So there is no way i can use this motherboard to power/run this card.

I'm am currently looking at two different motherboards which are the following :-
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 775 socket and Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR/EP45T-UD3L 775 socket

The motherboard needs to accept DDR2 RAM(If not then not TOO big a deal i will have to buy more) and Intel Core Duo 2 Processor E8200 which i beleive is 775 socket.

If anyone can suggest me any good motherboards that will work with both my CPU and GPU/RAM then it will be much appreciated, I am not to smart with hardware but the information i have put up here is all down to my own research so expect there to be a mistake somewhere,

I am looking for a good mobo for Gaming, that can be picked up for about 60-100 GBP, Thanks to anyone that can help and if there is something you need to know or something missing i wil update as soon as i see the post.

Nothing is Overclocked in my system and i have never tried it, I will try to OC the new Motherboaard if it is worth it.

Thanks very much - Mitch.

Details of my current Processor - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPP

Details of my current Motherboard - http://europe.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?M...333-D667%20R3.0

Edited by MitchTheGG, 06 May 2010 - 06:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

That card should work fine in your current board. I am running a 5670 in an older IP35Pro just fine. As long as you have a PCI-E 16X slot, you should be good to go. PCIE 2.0/2.1 is backward compatable to 1.0 slots.

Neither one of your links work.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 May 2010 - 06:18 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

The problem is that my PCI-E slots are not 2.0 i asked the motherboards designers if they had updates for the PCI-E slot to make it 2.0(Is that even possible?) and they sent me a update for my BIOS.

I do not really want to update my bios if you cannot change what number your PCI-E slot is as i dont want to ruin my PC for now.

I have re-linked the websites i posted so hopefully they work.

#4 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

I've installed the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 and they seem to work just fine, especially if you want to run crossfire later on.
Although just as "dpunisher" stated, your current motherboard will work with your new video card. But since you would prefer your computer to be more of a gamer's machine I would go ahead and change the board, at least that way you'd be able to run more than 4gb of ddr2.

-Sully

#5 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

I'm sorry for disagreeing but can you please explain how the card will work, Even when i ran the driver instalers for the card it says sucsessfully installed with warning, There are no warning in the installation log as i've plugged it in and when my moniter is connected i have no signal.

I phoned XFX who supplied the card and they seemed to think it was the PCI slot on my current mobo, it is not 2.0 they said, i emailed ASROCK asking for a BIOS update and they sent me one custommed for my motherboard.

BUT if there is NO way to change the PCI-E slot from 1.1 or 1.0 to 2.0 without changing motherboard then i do not want to use this BIOS update, also i dont know how. I hope i didnt plug it into the wrong slot. :S

Thanks for the help, also how does the GA-P35-DQ6 Overclock like

Edited by MitchTheGG, 06 May 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#6 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm sorry for disagreeing but can you please explain how the card will work, Even when i ran the driver instalers for the card it says sucsessfully installed with warning, There are no warning in the installation log as i've plugged it in and when my moniter is connected i have no signal.

I phoned XFX who supplied the card and they seemed to think it was the PCI slot on my current mobo, it is not 2.0 they said, i emailed ASROCK asking for a BIOS update and they sent me one custommed for my motherboard.

BUT if there is NO way to change the PCI-E slot from 1.1 or 1.0 to 2.0 without changing motherboard then i do not want to use this BIOS update, also i dont know how. I hope i didnt plug it into the wrong slot. :S

Thanks for the help, also how does the GA-P35-DQ6 Overclock like

Hmmm, how well does the overclock work. I'd have to ask the customer I built it for....although if I'm not mistaking the client has an intel e8400 (3.2 core 2 duo) and I think he's got it clocked upt to 3.4ghz and it runs just fine. As for clocking ram and his video I don't know. If I find out more info I'll let you know.

-Sully

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

The problem is that my PCI-E slots are not 2.0

It just doesn't matter if the PCIE slot is 1.0 or 2.0, it is a non consideration unless you are worried about a small percentage of bandwidth. The card should physically plug in to the slot and work normally, the slots are the same. If the card doesn't work, then there is a compatibility problem possibly with that board. I would try to flash the BIOs as it might fix an incompatability. You are correct that a BIOS flash will not change a 1.0 into a 2.0 slot.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

I put the 'custom' BIOS that ASROCK sent me onto a USB stick but when i boot it says no partition on something, i've never adjusted the BIOS before.

Woul this rig be nice for gaming?
Intel Core Duo 2 2.66 E8200 capable of clocking to 3.9 with intense water cool but 3 to 3.4 safely
HD 5850 x1 not crossfired
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
2GB 667 RAM
500W PSU - Soon to upgrade
What else do you need to know? And is there anything there that could use changing. Thanks

Any could someone find out if it's all compatible with one another please.

Most PC repairs services will fit a motherboard right?

Edited by MitchTheGG, 06 May 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

your video card will work just fine with that video card. pci express 2.0 is backwards compatible with pci express 1.0 no problem. I have a Saphire 3870 x2 in my system, it is PCI express 2.0 and my motherboard is only pci express 1.0, so I speak from experience when I say they should work just fine. However, if it is causing problems or your dead set on a new motherboard, what is your price range? here is a nice crossfired ASUS board that is compatible with all of your current hardware, and is only $124 US dollars. (I have no clue what it is in euros) and here is a ATX Gigabyte board for 79 (69 after rebate). It doesn't have crossfire, but it does have PCI express 2.0 and support for all your current hardware. Both of these boards are PCI express 2.0.

Edited by the_patriot09, 06 May 2010 - 02:26 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Is the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo Better then the GA-P35-DQ6, and how can i get the card to work in this system, when my moniter is plugged into the card i get no signal. It flashes as if on standby.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

yeah the ASUS board is a bit better. To get your card installed, what were you using previously, if you were using the integrated video you may need to go into the BIOS and enable the computer to boot from PEG first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#12 MitchTheGG

MitchTheGG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

No i was using a 9500 GT in the same slot

#13 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

You seem to be quite keen on upgrading your motherboard, and I'm actually quite glad that you metioned the Asus P5Q pro turbo...I've been installing alot of these motherboards and alot of the
P5Q SE Plus (the SE plus only has one PCI-E slot). Personally I prefer using Asus motherboards and am quite certain that you'll be quite pleased with the pro turbo model.
Also for future reference, with any recent Asus motherboard you can actually flash the bios without having to make usb boot sticks or floppy disks! You can actually flash the bios in windows,
and as a bonus if the update ever screws up you can actually restore the previous version of your bios without having to RMA your board.

-Sully

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

powder, that is indeed a nice option, one which many gigabyte boards come with as well, the downside to it, is that doing it with this method can be somewhat hazardous. Ive done it with mine and never had an issue, but ive read about several people where this feature has fried their BIOS chips. eek thats not a pretty thing (which is why gigabyte put 2 bios chips on their boards in case you fried the first) Im saying this not to scare someone away, because I use it myself, but more of a for your information before you do heres the risks. I wouldn't be flashing it with this every single time they release an update, but rather, just like flashing it the old fashioned way, only when you need to (like if the current one isnt working the way you want it to for some reason) or at most, maybe once a year.

picard5.jpg

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

No i was using a 9500 GT in the same slot

well, then the express 2.0 isnt your problem. the 9500 GT is also a PCI express 2.0 card. the issue is the card is just plain not compatible with your hardware or its defective.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users