Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Acer with Dell disc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

I had to wipe my acer desktop but i don't have acer disc so i reinstalled with dell disc. Will i have problems? I plan on using xp mode with my accelerator and everything still work fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

You will have problems yes, no telling how many. This is not a good practice you should use a retail copy(not a restore CD a genuine Windows XP, or Vista CD/DVD)if you can find one, borrow a friends if you can. Another alternative would be to contact the vendor that sold you the laptop and get a new restore cd. Now on to the problems first you will need to download the drivers for the acer and weed through all of the Dell specific software and drivers for the dell and delete them. I am surprised you were able to use the Dell disc. If you have specific problems we can try to work through them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:28 AM

If the OS is already installed, and activated and passes all of the wonderful Microsoft WGA garbage, it should work fine assuming you have all your drivers.

Unusual that a Dell OEM disk would work on an Acer, but stranger stuff has happened.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 May 2010 - 06:29 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Yeah it checked out genuine and activated fine. The only issue I saw at first was the "coprocessor" couldn't install the driver for it but after windows update and a reboot everything is cool. It's just acer makes you burn the reinstall disc instead of providing a reinstall disc at purchase. Kinda sucked I wiped it before burning the disc and all I had was a Dell disc. Everything works fine I just used the product key from the sticker on the aver and it activated fine and everything runs cool. When I hit properties on my computer the Dell symbol comes up. Kinda funny.

So I should be cool right?

Edited by Darkknight2k3, 06 May 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Did you delete the recovery partition too? I am all to familiar with Acer I usually burn the back ups as soon as I get a unit in the shop unless the HDD is gone already. IF the recovery partition is still there you can get the information off it.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

No I deleted it all cause I initially tried to downgrade to xp but was having issues so I thought remaining partitions were to blame. Turned out acer aspire x1301 just doesn't support xp. So I wiped yet again to put on windows 7 for the xp mode.
If I use a VLK of windows 7 and do a clean install I should be cool right?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Run windows 7 upgrade advisor first download any driver or program updates first bang them onto a cd. Clean install 7 and install all driver and program updates.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

VLK?? If you install a full version of windows 7 you will be OK but like Darth sidious stated you will need to download drivers for your computer that are compatible with windows 7.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

FWIW. I read years ago that you can use a DELL disk to reinstall Windows on other machines and it will work fine. However you can't do that with other disks even tho' you have genuine Windows OS and a genuine key. Enquiries to M$ evoked the reply that one disk is for one computer and if I needed to reinstall I would have to purchase a new OS. I now have absolutely no compunction about ripping off the money grubbing B****s if necessary, LOL.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm going to just buy a copy of windows. I guess this was more of an experiment to see what would happen and if the acer would still work. It didn't at first but it seemingly works fine now. But I'll clean install to be sure. Thanks for your help everyone

Edited by Darkknight2k3, 09 May 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

<<FWIW. I read years ago that you can use a DELL disk to reinstall Windows on other machines and it will work fine.>>

I believe that was so, back in the era where many vendors were selling Dell CDs and individual licenses without the need to purchase an XP CD of any sort. I don't know if that's true or not, since some Dells have recovery partitions/mechanisms. I know that Microsoft took steps to terminate the individual selling of licenses and the OEMs took steps so that they no longer had to provide a copy of a Microsoft CD with each system sold.

Dell Recovery/Restore

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users