Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ms. Anna

Ms. Anna

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Ok, here's what happened. I was on a site getting ringtones and ended up with a lot of viruses that shut my computer down. My father restored the computer but put all of the files on the C drive which is the recovery drive. How do we get the files over to the D drive? Please help me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Go to Disk Management and take a look at your partitions/drives.

To open Disk Management, open the Start menu of Windows 7.

In the search box type diskmgmt.msc, typing the command then the file will appear in the box, just click the file to open the tool.

Wait for the loading of the service.

How many...and how large is each drive pictured in the lower right...and how many/how large are the partitions on each drive?

Louis

#3 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

If i undersatnd u correct, I would like to know, if your father manually copied files from 'D' drive to the 'C' drive after performing system restore.

#4 Ms. Anna

Ms. Anna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

@ Yateesh, yes because the files are the exactly the same on both drives.
@ Hamluis, It is a Dell Inspirion. Ok, this is what it says:
It's showing 3 different drives but one is not labeled. That one has 39MB and 1 partition.
2nd - Recovery (C:) 14.65 GB NTFS - Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
3rd - OS (D:) 451.07 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

I hope that answered your questions. Thank you very much for the help.

#5 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

First off, i dont understand the Boot drive being the Recovery partition...
Dont really understand much about Boot ups, Whatever. so ill leave this to more knowledgeable people.

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

The first partition of 39MB is unlabeled this will be the diagnostics on this partition.

C drive labeled recovery this contains windows and is partition which is active and what you boot into to run windows.

This should be labelled system partition as this is where the os resides after installation.

D: labelled os normally labelled recovery partition contains system image to recover windows to c drive no other files should be in this partition but is usually a much smaller partition 10Gb or less.

When your father recovered did he use ctrl f11 which is what a lot of dell machines use to access recovery partition, or does your dell have an actual cd/dvd with a windows image on to recover os then re-install drivers and programs off cd after os re-installation instead of a recovery partition which would explain the size differences and names of partitions created.

Pherhaps you had c drive with windows os and programs on it and d drive as a data partition for your music, videos etc. You shouldn't put these on the recovery partition if you have one as any malware may be copied over if your system gets infected and prevent recovery from the recovery partition. You would be best to create another partition using diskmanagement assign a drive letter which is free. and format to ntfs increase the size by decreasing size of D drive if this is where the system recovery image resides.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

You are partially correct, Darth sidious. The 39MB partition is always there.

The 14.65GB partition is on every Dell Inspiron (and on other Dell models, I'm sure). It is ONLY the recovery partition. It does not contain a working operating system. It is used solely for restoring your computer to factory settings. I used to have this one on my Dell Inspiron, but when I needed to do a factory restore, it didn't work (something was corrupted), so I just deleted that partition.

The D: drive (OS) is where your infected operating system used to be. It is now restored back to factory settings. I'm not sure what Dell's restore feature does with the files from your operating system that existed before the restore...they may be gone forever.

The letters labeled on these drives can be confusing....normally, the Windows installation that is currently running is C: by default. But you have to pay attention to the size of the partition. Like I said, the 14.65GB partition is only recovery. The operating system (OS) is on the partition labeled "OS" (D: drive, in this case).

Edited by keyboardNinja, 09 May 2010 - 03:01 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 Ms. Anna

Ms. Anna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Ok so how do i fix this?

#9 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

to clear this up a little.
did he restore the computer from a cd or from the recovery partition?
it almost sounds like he restored from a cd and installed to the recovery partition instead of the os partition.
in that case you have a big problem.

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi KeyboardNinja when i posted that reply something was nagging me telling me i'd made a bit of a blooper, and it dawned on me last night when i found some notes about a dell machine i worked on and was set up the same except had a cuple of extra partitions as well.

The person who bought it paid 150 for a computer with a dodgy copy of win xp and acquired some viruses so i thought recover from recovery partition used ctrl f11 and nothing after investigation there was no recovery data so they had to shell out another 40 for a genuine windows home edition so i wiped the partitions c: drive and d: drive with acronis drive cleanser and resized reformatted c: drive lmade d: drive unallocated downloaded all the drivers(the dell still had its service tag no.) and then installed xp and drivers and programs they had already bought. Then created a recovery partition using acronis true image on unallocated space as it formats it to fat32, then imaged the system and recovery partition to dvd-r discs in case of hard drive failure.

Anyway thanks for the post correcting my info and apologies to anyone who read for the incorrect information.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

No problem, Darth sidious. :huh:

Ok so how do i fix this?

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is....I know you did a recovery...but I have no idea where your files went, or if they're even still there.

Can you see both C: and D: in Computer? What are the folders in C: and D:? I need to know what is where...

#12 Ms. Anna

Ms. Anna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Keyboard ninja,
In computer it shows Recovery (C:) and OS(D:). That is what is what I see when I click on Computer. Recovery does not have any more free space where the OS drive has 414GB of free space. If I go into ©:, I can see the following folders:
Perflogs
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Recovery
Users
Windows

When I go into (D): I see the following folders:
_Backup.RC
5dffc3e85c3c5fbac9e7e5ec4ed6
d11d704712f18370dcc8
Dell
Drivers
Intel
Perflogs
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Recovery
Users
Windows
acrobat.com.air
arh.
msdia80.dll
nos984B.dat
nos9839.dat
nos9839_iNOSSO_error
setup (this is listed as windows installater)

Should I delete one of these or how can I combine them? I am also getting script error message when I access the internet. Thank you for the help.
setup

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

What model Inspiron?

Desktop or laptop?

Louis

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Okay...somehow the recovery process installed everything to the recovery partition...so I'm guessing you used a disc (DVD) to do the recovery (it's not possible to recover to the same partition the recovery originates from..so it had to come from a DVD).

Your old operating system is still on the D: drive.

Do you have a recovery DVD? If so, you need to save your data (backup to an external device...but don't keep anything that might be infected..like those ringtones you tried to download), delete and format both C: and D: partitions, and perform the recovery again. This time, we will guarantee that the recovery goes to the only partition there.

#15 Ms. Anna

Ms. Anna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

:huh: Sorry to need so much hand holding but how do I delete and format C: and D: partitions? When you say recovery DVD are you talking about the CD that came with the computer to re-install the operating system, drivers, and applications? One more thing, how would I know if the files are infected. The ringtones weren't downloaded to the computer but sent to a cell phone.

Thanks,
Ms. Anna
:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users