Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shawn-val

shawn-val

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

A couple of months ago I had to reinstall windows due to a virus I could not figure out. After which I installed what I hope is enough security to prevent such infections. It is because of these precautions that I believe my problem is program or settings based but am not sure so hopefully someone will be able to help me out. Problem is I can use my pc just fine it is plenty fast and does not hang but when I leave and come back later the screen is black and will not start back up I have to manually restart my CPU in order to get it to work and that is not too much of a problem except I know you are not supposed to manually power down your CPU and the wait for reboot sucks although the wait is significantly reduced compared to a couple of other computers I have owned, Anyway can someone please help me figure this out I don't know maybe my graphics card is going bad or maybe the monitor but there has got to be some way of figuring out whats going on I just do not have a clue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

Try a different monitor (temporarily, only takes a minute) first.

If you have a physical video card, rather than onboard chipset...remove the card, check the slot for possible debris/interference...try to boot.

IMO, it doesn't make sense that the system works properly if you are there...unless you have it go into hibernation or something after x seconds/minutes.

Hibernation issues can be related to video driver issues.

Have you uninstalled the current video drivers...and installed fresh ones...since this pattern began?

Louis

#3 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hello shawn, Now lets work together

First, I would suggest you to check if you are facing this issue in Safe Mode.

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Steps to start your computer in Safe mode

1. To boot into Safe Mode, restart the computer and tap the F8 key for about four to five times. You will see 'Safe Mode' listed in the Windows Advanced options.

2. Select 'Safe Mode' and then press enter.

#4 Yateesh

Yateesh

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

If it works fine, I would recommend you to put your computer in Clean Boot and check if any of the third party service or startup program is causing the issue.

Clean Boot will help you start your computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program or any of the third party service is interfering with your program.

For information on using “Clean Boot”, see the following Microsoft Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

#5 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

I will try safe mode today but not sure how that is going to help decipher the problem but I guess that's why I am not the pro. Going to reboot into safe mode now will get back later with results.

#6 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

well I rebooted in safe mode and let it sit for almost 2 hours and it did not do it, when booted in normal mode it takes less than an hour to do it so I am assuming, whatever the cause is does not run in safe mode I don't know, but going to try to figure out this clean boot thing now have never heard of it much less used it so will see what happens.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Need to see some system specs...

Download Speccy if you need to and post a screenshot of the Summary section.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

When you re-installed windows was it from recovery partition or recovery cd's which format and re-install all drivers and default programs and settings or was it from a windows 7 cd which will not install drivers but use generic drivers which come with windows 7. If the latter is the case then download all the latest driver which are win 7 compatable from your pc manufacturers website and install them chipset drivers first.

Agree with hamluis outdated video card drivers can cause issues with hibernationor coming out of it should i say.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#9 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Well first off I reinstalled windows with a full copy, Did what is referred to as a clean Install. and I did not have any problems for like two months after the install so I don't think it has anything to do with that. I did that clean boot where I went in and did a selective start up and disabled all services except Microsoft services, The machine did not do it so I enabled half of the services I previously disabled still did not do it I then enabled the other half and still did not do it. I then went into msconfig again and put everything back the way it was supposed to be and it still did not do it. so now I am really confused because I did nothing to my machine and the problem apparently disappeared as strangely as it appeared. Any other thoughts or ideas about this are welcome as I do not think that the problem is fixed just chooses not to show itself I guess. that screen-shot of some specs I am going to try to figure that out now. Thanks to all who have tried to help this far. Shawn

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

So if you installed windows using a copy of actual windows rather than a recovery partiton or recovery cds burnt in case of hd failure then you need to re-install all drivers for your hardware etc for your make and model and model no as generic drivers may be ok but may have incompatability issues down the line.

Checking event viewer logs for system and apps may give you clues.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#11 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

I don't know if I got the screen-shot right or not It is a little complicated my first time so I hope it worked. Here is the link I think you have to copy and paste it into your address bar [[Image:SHAWN PC_216.jpg|thumb|description]]

Edited by shawn-val, 08 May 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#12 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

Well that link did not work so I copied the link location if this works like I think it is supposed to you will be taken to the location of the link in the previous message and you just click the link from there and you should then see my screen-shot cross your fingers LOL http://www.wikihow.com/images/9/90/SHAWN-PC_216.jpg

NOPE: even better that is the link straight to the screen-shot so I got it.

Edited by shawn-val, 08 May 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

Good job. :huh:

Next time, if you want an image to show up directly in your post, use the img tags like this:

[img]http://www.wikihow.com/images/9/90/SHAWN-PC_216.jpg[/img]

Which gives you:

Posted Image

The processor is the only thing I see that could be better. Windows 7 will run on a 1.8 GHz, albeit a little slower than say a 2.5 GHz or something (but since you said in your first post that speed is fine, no worries). :thumbup2:

What power saving settings do you have turned on? Sleep, hibernate, etc...? It could just be that the computer went into Sleep mode or Hibernation. I noticed you said you can't replicate the problem again....fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 shawn-val

shawn-val
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

I actually have all of the power saving features turned off or at least I think I do I am going to double check them in a minute. I have contemplated putting a new processor in this machine but I have never done a processor before so I am a little scared to try I lost all power to my backup computer so am leary bout what I do with this one right now. I will get back with you with an update and thanks for all your help. Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users