Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gettin puter out of Safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pauli

Pauli

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:15 AM

Hope someone has an answer for me, Uninstalled Win98SE but now can't get out of DOS. I don't know what to put in at the A w/blinking - I have tried SYS C but that doesn't work. I also had to reformat drive as per instructions in my book, was this ok? I would appreciate your help, thnx. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:05 AM

You reformatted and are now using a boot disk to boot the computer up?

Do you want to reinstall the windows 98? What are you trying to do

#3 Pauli

Pauli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

Hi Gringler, yes I'm trying to get back on using a floopy , but I also have a CD fm MS to use, that came w/ puter. I have followed the instructions but it won't let me get any further than the DOS screen that shows the ltr. A w/ blinking _ & ask for a command. I don't know what the command is. Can you help?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:46 PM

What cd is it? Is it a windows 98 second edition cd?

Have you tried booting up with the cd in the computer and no floppy?

Windows 98 second edition cd can be boot off of and you can then install the win98 os direectly from there.

If its not booting into the cd, you may have to go into your bios and chance the boot order to ATAPI CD, Floppy, hard drive

#5 Pauli

Pauli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

Hi Gringler,
I've tried booting from both the windows startup floppy & also the win 98 se cd but I still can't get it to open from DOS , I will try your last suggestion but if I can't get this to work, I'm gonna buy a new puter w/Win XP. Right now I'm using my daughter's puter w/XP & I like it. Thnx for your help.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

What happens when you boot from a CD? Does it just not work..get an error?

#7 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:46 PM

just saw that what i've said has been posted already and don't find an option to delete this

so....nevermind!

Edited by TedOb1, 03 October 2004 - 09:50 PM.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:14 PM

's ok..Ted0b1... nothin' ventured, nothin' gained. BTW, I've been there done that, too. :thumbsup:

and loading windows can be perplexing at times...
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:14 PM

I'm interested to know how you "uninstalled" Windows 98.

If you've formatted correctly, you should be able to install Windows. If you want to start your computer with DOS, you have to enable CD-Rom support. Then, when you get the A:\ prompt, you need to find out which drive letter Windows has assigned to your CD. Sometimes this takes some experimenting. Your floppy should be A:, your Hard drive should be C:, and your Ramdisk, which the startup floppy creates might be D:, so try E: to see if the computer actually goes to E:. If it does, type, "dir" without the quotes and it should give you a list of the files on the Windows CD. If it does, you've found the right letter. Type setup after the E: prompt and Windows should begin installing. If you go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first, it should automatically start. Hope that helps.

#10 Pauli

Pauli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hi Herk, I just uninstalled it from the Add/delete menu but it was a good thing cause it got rid of all the CRAP I had on my puter but also got rid of some things like my fotos. I have a new puter now with XP on it & will try not to mess up on this one. HA,HA. Thnx 4 interest. Pauli :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users