Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless in emulator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

IS it possible to use wireless in an emulator (QEMU?)

Ethernet works but it can't see my wireless, here is what lspci says:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

from qemu wiki

Network options:

‘-net nic[,vlan=n][,macaddr=mac][,model=type][,name=name][,addr=addr][,vectors=v]’

Create a new Network Interface Card and connect it to VLAN n (n = 0 is the default). The NIC is an e1000 by default on the PC target. Optionally, the MAC address can be changed to mac, the device address set to addr (PCI cards only), and a name can be assigned for use in monitor commands. Optionally, for PCI cards, you can specify the number v of MSI-X vectors that the card should have; this option currently only affects virtio cards; set v = 0 to disable MSI-X. If no ‘-net’ option is specified, a single NIC is created. Qemu can emulate several different models of network card. Valid values for type are virtio, i82551, i82557b, i82559er, ne2k_pci, ne2k_isa, pcnet, rtl8139, e1000, smc91c111, lance and mcf_fec. Not all devices are supported on all targets. Use -net nic,model=? for a list of available devices for your target.

Maybe your wifi card is not supported.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Thanks, this lets me get online but I have no control over wireless. It just says I am connected through ethernet. I guess my best bet to use my wireless card in linux is to ditch qemu and try to install linux on a hard drive partition?

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

or use a live cd

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hahaha, well that is where my problem started. I was using one and couldn't get the wireless to work because I needed to use ndiswrapper and I couldn't write to the "hard drive" (cd in this case). Then I used qemu and loaded the live cd onto a virtual hard drive and went to use ndiswrapper and of course it didn't see the wireless card. Quite a vicious circle. :thumbsup:

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

do you have a usb flash drive?
Ubuntu allows you to create a bootable drive from the cd with an area to persist the data you are working with.
so in essence you would have a modifiable live distro right on a pen drive.
i have used it and it is pretty slick.
you can run it without modifying your existing system.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

The only one that I had I can't find and it only holds 500 mb or so anyway, so I guess I have to borrow one from somebody. Too bad an SD card probably won't work as my computer has a slot for it and I have a 2gb one. Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it.

#8 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

an sd card will work if the system can boot off of it.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

I don't think that it can because when I press F9 and go into boot options all it says is

Optical Disc Drive
Notebook Hard Drive
USB Hard Drive
Network boot

so I still probably need to get a big usb flash drive or a more linux friendly computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users