Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I install Windows XP Home without the original OEM disc / recovery discs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aarmin

Aarmin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

I have two older computers, both with Windows XP Home. They both still have the OEM license key stickers on them, and no major hardware changes.

Neither computer has a XP disc or recovery discs. I'm not even sure if they came with them. If I were to purchase XP Home OEM disc, could I use it to re-instate both computers, using their own unique product keys of course?

I do not want to recover anything, I want to wipe clean and start completely fresh and new. All the drivers I need are available on each manufactures website. I do not want any Sony or Gateway add-on junk :thumbsup:

Edited by Aarmin, 05 May 2010 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

short answer YES.

if you have genuine oem keys you have the right to install the oem version of that os on your system.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Longer answer. Maybe, it depends.

If either computer is a brand name (OEM like Dell, Toshiba, HP/Compaq...) that negotiates branded versions of XP with microsoft, you may need the OEM disk to install without buying a generic OEM or retail license key. The oem disk is autoactivated and does not require a cd-key if it detects the correct bios, model number or hash that the oem disk is limited by.

If they are white box or system builder computers from your local computer store or one you built from parts, the the OEM generic xp you bought with the system has a COA that should work with any other generic oem xp install as long as the disk matches the version (home or pro)

Replacement oem install or recovery disks are available for a small fee from most OEM vendors. Post the service tag, serial number or part number if you have a brand name computer and we can point you to the right place to order the disks.

I just spotted the last line of your post.

Sony usually does not offer anything helpful unless you are still under warranty, but you can try:
http://esupport.sony.com/EN/osmig/xpclean.html

Gateway varies. If you get an unintelligible idiot, just hang up and call back:
http://support.gateway.com/s/software/medi...age01su44.shtml

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 05 May 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

i haven't had a problem with any oem licenses as long as they are OEM and not REFURBISHED.
the disk only adds brad recognition

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Depending on how old the systems are, they may have a recovery partition, which most manufacturers are using now instead of disks.

You can check to see if your computers have this partition by opening up My Computer from the desktop and looking under Hard Disk Drives. On all the ones I've seen, it's listed as Drive D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users