Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 homely53

homely53

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

I took the advise about spybot had tried it before a long time ago, then my son had to reformat and i forgot to reinstall, it is good. However my son had purchased Errorguard to help to protect the comp. but when i run Spybot it says that Errorguard has a lot of malicious spyware attached to it. Can anyone explain why this would happen and i think Spybot is suggesting that i get rid of it if the problem continues. Help please totally confused now. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum.

Edited by Scarlett, 28 September 2005 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

Homely53...Spybot S&D has a good reputation and I haven't heard anything about it "not playing well with others", so I googled Errorguard and found that it is a form of spyware brought to you by Gain, and to think that you actually paid for this. Here's a little information about it, I would also suggest that you not download a program unless you do some research on it first, because there are people out there that are just looking for the uninitiated.

I would let Spybot take care of this and then see what is left, I have also heard good things about X-cleaner which is what these people suggest. I have added another link that I think you will find useful.

http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adw_rm_ErrorGuard.html

Full Name:
ErrorGuard Websearch
Type:  Adware
Created by:  Error-Guard Inc.
Official Description:  Collection of Personal Information from Service Visitors Error-Guard, Inc. may collect and/or track (1) the home server domain names, email addresses, type of client computer, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system, and type of web browser of visitors to Error-Guard, Inc.'s web service, (2) the email addresses of visitors that communicate with Error-Guard, Inc. via email, (3) information knowingly provided by the visitor in online forms, registration forms, surveys, email, contest entries, and other online avenues (including demographic and personal profile data), and (4) aggregate and user-specific information on which pages visitors access.

Personal data collected by Error-Guard, Inc. may be used by Error-Guard, Inc. for many reasons, for example, for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, for a statistical analysis of users' behavior, for product development, for content improvement, or to customize the content and layout of Error-Guard, Inc.'s service. Aggregate data on visitors' home servers may be used for internal purposes but will not be provided to third parties such as marketing firms. Individually identifying information, such as names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information which visitors voluntarily provide to Error-Guard, Inc. may be added to Error-Guard, Inc.'s databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding service updates, new products and services, and upcoming events.

Comment:  Driveby download.

We have also noticed points of deceptive advertising where computer error messages are created without the label of "Advertisement"
Download URL: ErrorGuard d/l link removed. Not neccessary.

Removal tools:  List of products that detect/remove/protect against ErrorGuard:
# X-Cleaner
# RegBlock

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Mod Edit: Above info. has been put in quote form.
Also have removed "ErrorGuard" download link.

Edited by Scarlett, 28 September 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

Here is more:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pe...px?id=453094197
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=1763
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Yes please always check out all programs before down loading.
Especially if you plan to pay for them.

Better safe than sorry. ;)

A great reference for spyware programs that are not legit:

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Posted Image

#5 homely53

homely53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:07 AM

I hope i am reply in the right bit as i get very confused with this. However thank you for all your effort and i am really shocked by what i have read. I will be very careful in future. When i looked in the programs add and remove it isn't there anymore but if i search the computer loads of errorguard files come up so i think i might have problems knowing if i have removed it all. I will follow your instructions and see what happens. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Homely53...Spybot S&D has a good reputation and I haven't heard anything about it "not playing well with others", so I googled Errorguard and found that it is a form of spyware brought to you by Gain, and to think that you actually paid for this. Here's a little information about it, I would also suggest that you not download a program unless you do some research on it first, because there are people out there that are just looking for the uninitiated.

I would let Spybot take care of this and then see what is left, I have also heard good things about X-cleaner which is what these people suggest. I have added another link that I think you will find useful.

http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adw_rm_ErrorGuard.html

Full Name:
ErrorGuard Websearch
Type: Adware
Created by: Error-Guard Inc.
Official Description: Collection of Personal Information from Service Visitors Error-Guard, Inc. may collect and/or track (1) the home server domain names, email addresses, type of client computer, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system, and type of web browser of visitors to Error-Guard, Inc.'s web service, (2) the email addresses of visitors that communicate with Error-Guard, Inc. via email, (3) information knowingly provided by the visitor in online forms, registration forms, surveys, email, contest entries, and other online avenues (including demographic and personal profile data), and (4) aggregate and user-specific information on which pages visitors access.

Personal data collected by Error-Guard, Inc. may be used by Error-Guard, Inc. for many reasons, for example, for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, for a statistical analysis of users' behavior, for product development, for content improvement, or to customize the content and layout of Error-Guard, Inc.'s service. Aggregate data on visitors' home servers may be used for internal purposes but will not be provided to third parties such as marketing firms. Individually identifying information, such as names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information which visitors voluntarily provide to Error-Guard, Inc. may be added to Error-Guard, Inc.'s databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding service updates, new products and services, and upcoming events.

Comment: Driveby download.

We have also noticed points of deceptive advertising where computer error messages are created without the label of "Advertisement"
Download URL: ErrorGuard d/l link removed. Not neccessary.

Removal tools: List of products that detect/remove/protect against ErrorGuard:
# X-Cleaner
# RegBlock

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Mod Edit: Above info. has been put in quote form.
Also have removed "ErrorGuard" download link.

Thank you for the link will have a good look.

Yes please always check out all programs before down loading.

Especially if you plan to pay for them.

Better safe than sorry. ;)

A great reference for spyware programs that are not legit:

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:35 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup: Let us know how it all goes.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users