Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command.exe will not function in normal or safe mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ero1

ero1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

I bring up command in either normal or safe mode and I receive " command is not an internal or external command,etc" I am logged in as either user with admin. priviledge or admin. If I go to system32 and bring up cmd.exe it works, but not to just go to cmd. in programs.I have run Avg9 antivirus both in normal and safemode and also run MS security essentials. Nothing shows up. Any advice would be greatley appreciated!

Edited by ero1, 05 May 2010 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Not sure what "command in programs" is...typically, the way to get to the command prompt is to go Start/Run...type cmd or command and hit Enter.

If this is what you've been doing...what happens? Does a screen appear?

Louis

#3 ero1

ero1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Sorry, I was not clear. Start>Programs>accesories>command. Get to same place as run>cmd. Yes the screen comes up. When I enter a command, I get"not an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

When that happens to me...I usually run chkdsk /r and hope that solves it.

If not, then I run the sfc /scannow command...but, if the command.exe is not functioning properly, maybe nothing can be processed via Start/Run (in your case).

Could also be disk fragmentation issue.

You might want to first verify that cmd.exe is in the System32 folder. If it is, then I would try chkdsk /r.

Louis

#5 ero1

ero1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

If I go to system32 and bring up cmd.exe it works, but not to just go to cmd. in programs.

You might want to first verify that cmd.exe is in the System32 folder. If it is, then I would try chkdsk /r.

Thanks! :thumbsup: That is what I needed to know. Will run chkdsk /r from cmd in "system32" and hope that solves my problem. Will let you know what happens. :flowers: Oh and defragmentation is not an issue...not fragmented.

Edited by ero1, 05 May 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#6 ero1

ero1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

:thumbsup: Well, I ran chkdsk /r from win/system32 in safe mode....nothing wrong. I ran memtest...memory fine. I ran a hard disk analyzer from a boot disk...everything passed. Start/run/cmd still will not function. Computer is extreeemly slow. It is not fragmented, I have run antivirus, spyware, malware scans...nothing! At this point, I believe it is time for a new install!

Still would like to find the problem if nothing else, for future reference. Does anyone have any more ideas? All input is appreciated. :flowers:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

Well...(last guess) see if you can run regedit or visit Microsoft websites with no problems.

I'd try a repair install before going to a clean install effort :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users