Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space Program

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 badDEW

badDEW

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

This should have read "disk space problem" (not program)

I am running win 7 pro and recently I deleted more than 20 gbs of date files and programs from my downloads folder, however there has been no change to the properties of my C: drive. I have run scans with hitman pro and it show bad files in the downloads folder that were deleted. Any ideas why files deleted would not change storage capacity and why they would show up on scans when there is no evidence of the file in the folder, thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2010 - 03:58 PM.
Edited title ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

errors in free space records are due to data corruption, driver issues, or hardware failure.
did you try to run a chkdsk /r from windows?
it will ask you to schedule a scan for reboot and then scan and clean the file system.

#3 badDEW

badDEW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Yes I have and still haven't recovered any space. Strange I can continue to loose space when I add data but when I delete it the disk still shows it usded.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Have you completed removed from the computer -- Deleted it also from Recycle Bin?

The information still takes disk space when there, to be able to restore the file if you have accidently deleted something you didnt want to.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

windows 7 does keep snapshots of changed folders
too clean up shadow copies and old system restore points follow below

1. Click Start, type Cleanmgr.exe and press ENTER

2. Select the drive-letter from the list and click OK

3. Click Clean up system files

This restarts Disk Cleanup to run in elevated mode.

4. Select the drive-letter from the list and click OK

5. Click the More Options tab

6. Click the Clean upů button under System Restore and Shadow Copies.

7. Click OK.

#6 badDEW

badDEW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

That is the same as disk cleanup and for post #4, yes I do delete all trash in the recycle bin. Have been working with computers for many years and have never seen a puter that will add to storage lost but not replace it after u delete the files. Plus if I run hitman pro it shows some suspicious files in folders that have already been deleted. Also I tried to do a repair install to see if that would fix problem but was unable to do it due to missing files for printer but the temp files used trying to reinstalled added up as more space used even though it said they were removed.

Still looking for answers/help, thanks.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Tools you can use to examine what is where:

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2...4-10614593.html

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

#8 badDEW

badDEW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the program info will see if I can find this lost data space. Got plenty of hds and space but this has been really bugging me. Every problem I have I always try to find answer even if the problem goes away on its own; so thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users