Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to restore due to corupt file error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T_prime

T_prime

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi there,
trying to Fix my Laptop It is running Vista Business. My nephew was using it and I think he messed it up. I am unable to go on the internet as after start up O get a blue screen (which does'nt stay on long enough to read the error) and shuts down. I tried to doa resotore to the eailerest point in the list.

I have tried to do a system restore but it fails and I get the error 0x80070002 and some file cannot be read.

I only have functional access in safe made... can any one help me

many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

If you have a Vista disk you can try Startup Repair.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...asked-questions

Or if that doesn't work you can try Last Known Good Configuration.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...d-Configuration

Please let me know how you get on and if you need addtional assistance.

#3 T_prime

T_prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Marktreg,
I do not have a vista disk, as I got the laptop pre installed with it. The last know good configuration is not working becos It its starting up, but I after I logg in, it loads up and then crashes...

Could you give me any more pointers or email me a vista programme ?

many thanks

#4 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Do you think this problem could be due to a virus/malware infection? Because, if it is, it may be better if you seek help in the the 'Am I infected? What do I do?' section. If your problem is NOT malware related, and you have access to another computer where you can download a file and burn it to a CD to make a boot disk, I can try to get you up and running again. But, if you have active viruses/malware on your computer, you need to post in the 'Am I infected? What do I do?' section as we are not allowed to work on malware in this part of the forum.

Edited by marktreg, 06 May 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

That error message is listed as a WUS error, file not found message.

Louis

You can try to obtain recovery/restore disks from the manufacturer of your system, since it came preinstalled.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2010 - 11:44 AM.

#6 T_prime

T_prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

many thanks Guys,
I ended up doinga restore back to factory settings, thankfully I was able to copy all my files on to an external hard drive ( Via Dos commands). and them add them back after the restore.

Thanks for all the help....

T_prime

#7 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Nice one, T_prime. Glad you're up and running again. :huh:

If your hard drive is good, a factory restore will certainly sort out any software problems. Almost all factory restores will format the disk and completely reinstall the operating system. So you should be OK now.

Just quick thought. As well as non-malware related WSUS errors, I have also seen malware cause that 0x80070002 error. So it might be wise to virus/malware scan those files before clicking on any of them, especially if they are executables.

Happy computing. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users