Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate files with a tilde

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brucerb

Brucerb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

I am using Win XP Professional (SP 3). Recently I started to notice that many of my files were being duplicated except that the duplicate file name is the same as the original name but with a tilde (~) followed by about a 7-8 letter/digit string. For example, a file named image.jpg would have shown next to it a file of the same size named image.jpg~AD45TFH4 (not exactly those letters and numbers but in that style). It is not limited to just image files although they seem to be the most common ones affected. Any known reason for this? Is there a quick way I can search for, and delete them all at once without deleting necessary files? I have been deleting them one at a time without any seeming consequence, but it is incredibly time-consuming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

These files are usually created by an editor to work on temporarily when opened for editing. These files are deleted as soon as the program using them is closed. You can use a duplicate file finder to find all of them and get rid of them.

#3 Brucerb

Brucerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thank you. But why might these files not automatically be removed now when, in the past, I never saw them? Is it possible that I inadvertently changed some setting somewhere in the computer to avoid them being deleted when the program(s) closed?

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

Could be that you just never noticed them before or thought much about them when you had seen them before, that was what happened to me. I was finding files in my Temp folder that have a number with a tilde at the end and I just mistook them for something else for quite a while and just didn't think much about them. It took a while before I figured out that they were actually the automatic backups that I have WordPerfect set up to make every few minutes of the document I have opened.

Btw, the temporary files that WP makes on my system are not removed automatically when I close the program either.

Edited by Stang777, 06 May 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

I think that .tmp files of the nature discussed...are supposed to be deleted upon reboot...but such is not always the case with the editors I use.

I never look for them, but my video editors seem to create folders for such, which contain all the .tmp files created by that program.

I guess that I'd like to know the locations/paths of these files noted by the OP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users