Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

9800GX2 Acting Odd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

I have been using a PNY 9800GX2 for the past few months (won it from PNY in a Folding@Home contest).

When I first plugged it in, I got no display out of the second DVI output (the one with the HDMI port beside it). I plugged my monitor (Acer H233H) in to the first DVI output and got a display.

Everything worked fine until I went to install drivers. The only driver version that would not crash is v191.00 (crashing while Folding at least).

This past weekend I turned the computer off and went home. I hooked it up at my parent's house (to the first DVI port) and did not get a display until it went to the desktop. By that I mean I could not see the POST screen at all, could not get into the BIOS, could not boot from optical media, etc.

I plugged the monitor in to the second DVI port and it worked instantly. I got a POST screen, could get into the BIOS and got to the desktop.

Any clue as to what is going on here?

Nothing has changed, monitor is the same, cable is the same, and no parts have been changed since I won this graphics card (graphics card is the newest part).

Specs
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz
4GB DDR2 667 (mixed brands, 2x1GB Corsair, 2x1GB Nanya Technology)
320GB Western Digital 7200rpm Sata hard drive
750w PC Power & Cooling power supply
PNY 9800GX2 stock clocked
Nvidia driver version 191.00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Just a guess but there could be a default/ setting for the default post display output. worth checking, let me know. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 04 May 2010 - 07:59 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

I looked around in the BIOS to see if the BIOS somehow reset, but nope, it is still on PCIe.

Will keep looking around though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users