Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

amazon.com crashes my internet

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

seems to have started a few days ago. anytime i try to go to amazon.com, my router looses the internet connection, sometimes it even makes it reboot. sometimes a result of this is it presenting a nice 'PPPoe connection failed' message. usually it will just be able to reconnect after 20-40 secs.

but every link i click on amazon.com and its the same thing, internet drops and have to wait for it to come back up.
every other site i go to (such as this one) works perfectly fine, its just amazon.com that does it.

tried clearing cookies and cache, it still happens
tried with firefox 3.6.3 and it crashes.
crashes with IE7 as well.
tried in both windows 7 and windows vista, it crashes in both of them
i have also tested it at random times to make sure it wasn't just a coincidence, and its not.
same thing happens when clicking a bookmark to it or just typing in the address directly.

anybody ever hear of something like this happening before?
i find it odd that its ONLY amazon.com that causes my connection to drop

EDIT: Moved from Web Browsing/Email to more appropriate Networking forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MickeyC

MickeyC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

I just started having the same problem a few days ago. I have a linksys router that resets itself whenever I go to amazon, no where else. I cannot figure it out and you're the only other person I've found with this problem. Let me know if you figure it out!

#3 agimny

agimny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Same problem here. Just started happening. Using linksys wired router with a couple of linksys access points. Only difference in the network when the problem started occurring is the addition of an iPad. Could it be related or just coincidence?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hmmm....not sure if your problem is related to this or not...

Some websites will crash your browser if your Java is out of date. The Blackboard system used by many schools and universities will do this if Java is out of date.

Try updating your Java.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 07 May 2010 - 09:08 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Rick Rat

Rick Rat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

I have a linksys router too, and amazon.com kills it too, on chrome or IE. Well, at least it isn't me.

I was able to browse amazon up until a week ago.

Keyboard ninja: It crashes our routers, not the web browser.

Ok, after running a proxy, I figured out some of the problems.

In my hosts file, in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I added an entry:
127.0.0.1 z-ecx.images-amazon.com

and doing that redirects that domain to my local machine (so the calls fail). That seems to fix amazon and the router (at least on the computer in question).

UPDATE: I emailed amazon.com about the issue, and included a link to this page, and haven't heard back yet.

Edited by Rick Rat, 08 May 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#6 Rick Rat

Rick Rat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

Ok, got a reply from amazon:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had when using our website. I've reported this to our technical team, and they're working on taking care of it.

Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

Please try again over the next few days. Errors like this are usually corrected shortly after they're reported.

Thanks for your patience while we fix this problem. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Mubarak M
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Edited by Rick Rat, 08 May 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

Keyboard ninja: It crashes our routers, not the web browser.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

What are your router model numbers so I can go look these up.

Also what all do you have running when you are surfing the web, do you download things via P2P?

I am only asking because Peer to Peer applications open a lot of connections, and some router OSs/Firmware have limited Network Address Translation tables, and when the table is full your router cannot remember or make any new connections till the older connections are dropped.

#9 Rick Rat

Rick Rat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Also what all do you have running when you are surfing the web, do you download things via P2P?

I am only asking because Peer to Peer applications open a lot of connections, and some router OSs/Firmware have limited Network Address Translation tables, and when the table is full your router cannot remember or make any new connections till the older connections are dropped.

I'm doing nothing but amazon at the time. It's a linksys (cisco) 8 port cable/dsl router.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:20 AM

I'm doing nothing but amazon at the time. It's a linksys (cisco) 8 port cable/dsl router.

Can you provide me the Model Number of your Router? Should be on the back or on the bottom.

#11 agimny

agimny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'm using an 8 port wired cable/dsl linksys router (Model #: BEFSR81) with four wireless access points (WAP54G). I am however pretty sure that the issue is at the router and not the AP's or the modem. Wierd that this all started for everyone in the same week. Must be something that changed on amazon's side.

#12 sl_in_sj

sl_in_sj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

I am having the same problem. When I access amazon.com, my internet goes down. When this happens, I am unable to connect to my Linksys BEFSR81 router. Reseting the router, by power cycling it, resolves the problem. I am running Firmware Version: 2.51.4. From what I can tell by looking at the Linksys site, http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireles...ksysbycisco.com , I have the latest firmware.

Definitely seems to be a bug in the Linksys BEFSR81. Something on the amazon site must be causing the router software to crash. Come on Linksys, fix your software!

UPDATE - I applied the work around to the host file as suggested above by Rick Rat and it did not totally solve the problem. While I haven't had to restart my router, the amazon site looks pretty bad, and it seems the internet connection goes away and comes back. Amazon, please update your site to resolve this. Amazon will undoubtedly move faster to fix this than Linksys.

UPDATE 2 - I reported the problem on the Linksys forums. I hope the forum is an effective means for reporting the problem to Linksys: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Ro...com/td-p/333269

-Scott

Edited by sl_in_sj, 10 May 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Its not Amazon's site thats the issue its your computer, av, or router. Try it without the router.

#14 Rick Rat

Rick Rat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

Mine is a BEFSR81 too with firmware of 2.51.3.

Sl In Sj: Yes, it makes amazon look funky, but my router stopped losing the connection.

Its not Amazon's site thats the issue its your computer, av, or router. Try it without the router.

True, but only amazon's site is causing the router to crash the internet connection. So in my opinion, it's a combo of both.

Edited by Rick Rat, 10 May 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

Can you provide screenshots of this activity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users