Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoberSnake

SoberSnake

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

I tries to find a similar post, but I could not find it...
I'm sorry if you deduct the time for no reason, but I really need help...

A few days ago, when I turned on the computer, I got the message "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation". At first everything was fine, but later I had a problem... Every time I'd turned on the computer the same message appeared. And if I went to the "solved later," I could not lift system... I recently bought a laptop, and it is possible that they are not the original programs, but that they are registered for the duration of the guarantee for the laptop (would not be the first time in our country)... I wonder if this somehow can put out, and how the general came to the point that this occurs?
I would be really grateful if somebody could help ... Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

what brand of laptop? Are you saying your have two computers and one is giving this message? Did you get a disk with both computers? Are you using a translation program? The problem is not clear.

On the surface, the message means MS validation found your windows to not be licensed legally. The person you got the computer from should be able to explain.

#3 SoberSnake

SoberSnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

I have only one computer (laptop) and now trying to solve a problem from a friend's computer...
Laptop is Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955, new, bought in a shop 6 months ago. But the salesman who sold it to me does not know what it is (at least says so), and honestly... I also do not know, because this is my third computer (both prior to this had unregistered version of Windows) and I have never previously appeared this problem

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

-
If you did not get a Genuine Microsoft CD or Back up CD then it is most likely Fake and you were ripped off -
Go to Microsoft update site and check for updates - This will check your system first and tell you if it is fake -
You will always have problems with not using a real Install - The salesman KNOWS - He is lying if he said other wise -
What country is this from ??

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 05 May 2010 - 06:54 AM.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

op's profile says Bosnia.

Toshiba should be notified and the serial number traced to the vendor. Toshiba should also be able to send you a legal version for the laptop in your language. Did you register the laptop with toshiba? Was it new when you got it? or used.

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/eu/contact/d...and+Herzegovina

In theory it should not be possible for a toshiba laptop to not pass the WGA test. It could be a bug limited to your language, or even damage by malware. The recovery partition should be able to reinstall to factory as well.

If the laptop shipped with win7 or vista (it is very new) then a distributor or retail store could have stolen that license and used an xp install image on the system. There are very few laptops sold in late 2009 that had xp downgrade authorization.

What does the COA sticker on the back of the laptop say ?

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 05 May 2010 - 08:52 AM.

#6 SoberSnake

SoberSnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

The laptop was new when I got it, but with it I did not get any CD. I know that with each new computer I should get a CD with drivers and installations for all applications, but when I asked them, they said it does not come with the laptop...
I use Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3, it's automatically updated several times, and has not made any problems so far... except now. :thumbsup:
I have finished the validation process with Genuine Microsoft Software service: "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation. The product key found on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked."
I didn't register my laptop with Toshiba myself, but it says (on system properties and COA sticker) that it is registered... But I just realize that this could be the reason for my problem... When I got it, it has Vista, and I ask them to install XP instead... Now I don't know what to do. Frankly, I don't want to buy a new program if I already paid it when buying a laptop... Do you have any suggestion what to do?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

IMO, you should contact Microsoft (or its agents) re any activation issues.

If you replaced the O/S installed...with a different O/S...and the license/key reflected internally is viewed as a compromised volume license...they are the agency by which such matters are resolved. The O/S is their product.

Louis

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Ok . The guys you bought it from, trying to give you what you wanted, violated the volume license of another client by installing their image on your toshiba, probably wiping out the vista recovery partition. It is probably not the first time and since someone else has reported them, the volume license has most likely been added to the WGA database.

Toshiba has a process to register online. Microsoft also has a registration process. Neither of these means anything as far as activation or whether your OS is legal.

The COA should have the original Vista logo and key number on it. If it doesn't, the seller has used a toshiba corporate VLK COA in a fraudulent manner since they are not authorized to sell VLK OS to anyone who does not have a Volume license agreement with microsoft via toshiba corporate distribution.

Contact toshiba and see if they can fix this, and if you cannot talk to someone in your native language, contact Microsoft activation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 05 May 2010 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users