Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP C000021A

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brapster

brapster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Alright, I did not want to open a new thread for something like this. I too get a STOP: C0000021a error with status of 0xc000026c. I ran CHKDSK, both the r and p commands.
I even tried doing what it says here:
http://www.techforlunch.com/bsod-session-m...tus-0xc000026c/
but to no avail. I would be really grateful if someone could help the OP and me out.

Edit: Thank you for making the new thread.
Edit2: The chkdsk /r comes up with one error. How do I go about from here? I am using the recovery console.

Edited by brapster, 04 May 2010 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

Details about the error along with the system manufacturer.

The system in question is a Dell Inspiron 6000 bought 5years (approx) back. It has a 40GB HDD, 1.73P4 and 1Gb DDR1 Ram. I don't know how the error came about as it is not mine. I was called when the BSOD popped up. It had XP Pro SP3.

As of now, I am running the chkdsk /r again and it is @ 63%. I used Knoppix and tried removing couple of the updates that "might" have caused the crash, which I linked in my previous post. Turns out, they weren't there. That done, I have backedup the data on a flash-drive, so if at all I need to format the HDD (which I hope it does not come down to) I can.
I found one update titled "KB960225" and I tried the batch command, it did not work.

The exact error that is being displayed is:

STOP: c000021a
Status of 0Xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000), with something about "Hardware Initalization Failed"

Edit: chkdsk /r does not return any error. This is getting hilarious. elle oh elle.

Edited by brapster, 04 May 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

STOP errors occur routinely, see How To Troubleshoot....

Louis

#5 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:23 AM

I cannot execute the first command from the link you posted in recovery console. It says the command is not recognized. Am I missing something?

Edited by brapster, 05 May 2010 - 03:33 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

System root is just another way of defining the partition that contains Windows.

The partition containing Windows is normally C: but may be something other than C:, depending on how the install was made and by whom.

In any case, do not type "system root", try typing "C:\Windows". The goal is to define the path to the System32 folder in Windows.

Louis

#7 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

That is not what I meant. It won't let me execute a .exe file, as in the sysuninst.exe. This is the 2nd or 3rd time the BSOD popped up and like we all know it is frustrating. The victim ( :thumbsup: )in question is fed up of Windows and decided to switch sides to Linux. I guess this is where I say thank you for all the help. But I would still like to know how to execute the .exe file in recovery console.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

<<sysuninst.exe>>

Do you mean "spuninst.exe"? I find nothing for "sysuninst.exe".

Louis

To be honest...I don't know what you are talking about. The link I posted is a MS link for troubleshooting your particular STOP error.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#9 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

yes, spuninst.exe. The link which you directed me to is what I had been following all the time without success. The recovery console does not execute .exe files when the complete command is typed out, as is the case in the first command on MS's webpage for the STOP error.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I now see what you mean...the key is how to change the Environment Variables which are preset...and I don't have the answer for that (yet).

I have gone through several attempts, same Those Detailed Here, , with the same results.

Hopefully, someone smarter will drop in here and give both of us a solution :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

OK...it's good to have two computers :thumbsup:.

What I have discovered...via trial-and-error...is that the command prompt from the Recovery Console defaults to C:\Windows on my system, while the command prompt from within XP defaults to C:\Documents&Settings\Louis.

So I can run the command specified from the Recovery Console, while I cannot run it from the command prompt within XP.

I have no explanation for your situation, based on my own experiences.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users