Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icon Pictures not displaying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Alot of my icons have the generic picture displayed instead of the correct picture. It's almost as if the cache for displaying pictures is set too low and if I fix one, I lose another. This is way beyond my understanding. As an example I have a folder on my desktop called 'Maintenance' and inside that I have Avast, Glary Utilities, Ad-aware etc. I have scoured the net, but am not coming up with a solution. The icons work....they just don't have the correct picture and being me......I must fix it!
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Ness

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi, Aussie Ness. :huh:

This may be of relevance: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311840/desktop-icons/

Edited by keyboardNinja, 07 May 2010 - 08:44 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for your reply keyboardNinja.....The poster (Edenwood) that you referred me to had the exact same problem as me. I did manage to fix it using this
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-r...-windows-vista/

although I didn't have tweak programs that might have caused it.

I think the icon cache may be set too small by default but don't know how to fix that. (If I manually fixed one icon, another would go.) Either way I will keep the above link bookmarked and use it again if necessary.

Muchly appreciated
Ness
Ness

#4 martine4161

martine4161

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

Basically these kind of problem is just graphics related program and can solved by some extra efforts. I think you have to check the control panel graphics property for the icon and the settings. If there everything is ok, then you just don't have to worry at all. you can just put the icons again and you can solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users