Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Popups in Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alowishus

alowishus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with browsing the internet using Firefox. I have been on Mozilla's site and searching there did not help solve my problem.

When i am using google to search or if i click a link the page i am trying to open does not open but a random site will appear instead.

E.g. I search for "dog" in google.
I click on the first link www.dog.com
and instead of going to that it links to some other random site - usually to the left of the address it goes to it has this odd icon (on this site its a computer) its sometimes this swirly sort of green logo.

It doesn't do this all the time but when it does it's extremely annoying (when i have to click go back one page numerous times because the page won't load what i want) and i think these pop up sites may be installing malware onto my computer.

Last week i had a problem where a spyware program antispyware 2010 or something was installed onto my computer. I couldn't open some programs, run antivirus, computer slowed down etc. I managed to get it removed from my computer by following instructions online and installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

However the problem with clicking a page and it loading some random popup/spam page did not go away after that scan.

Then yesterday i had another program installing itself: Antispyware Soft (which wouldn't allow task manager to open, allow me to open regedit or anything) which i managed to remove today by booting up in safe mode and running Malwarebytes anti-malware again to remove it.

The random site opening still remains though and i have a feeling that more malicious software is going to install itself again with these random pages that keep opening and downloading data.

I have been taking some steps to try and fix this:

I have updated my Mozilla version to 3.6 from 3.0.
I have updated my antivirus software - AVG
I have gotten all windows updates - XP service pack 2
I have downloaded process explorer and autoruns to try and eliminate any processes which could be causing this problem.

Nothing i have done has solved this problem and i am running out of ideas of what to do and i am literally spending all day doing virus scans, scanning for malware and finding nothing.

Any assistance on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated as madness is starting to kick in.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users