Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan; computer shuts self off

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shannon5815

shannon5815

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

On Sunday night, I got a trojan which I've had before -- I've heard it's pretty common, so you might be familiar with it, it's the one that tells you that you have a virus and tries to get you to install a fake antivirus program for an exhorbitant amount of money. Because I've had it before I know how to handle it -- restart in safe mode, run a program called rkill to stop the virus's processes, and then run malwarebytes. When the trojan first reared it's ugly head, I was about to go to bed and I didn't feel like babysitting my computer while malwarebytes ran, so I just shut it down and figured I'd take care of it in the morning.

However, now every time I try to start my computer to fix the problem, it won't stay on. It just turns itself off with no warning or anything, it doesn't even "shut down"; just turns off. At first I thought it was just overheating -- it's a laptop, and an acer at that, so it overheats sometimes, and when it first started doing it, the computer did seem to be pretty hot. so I left it alone for a few hours and then tried it again, and it still happened.

The first few times it was telling me it had to check the C drive for consistency, but I bypassed it because I wanted to just take care of the trojan first and then deal with that -- which was probably stupid of me, but when it comes to computers I tend to go for the reaction of "deal with what you know first, and then fool with the rest of it." Then it started telling me that some files were corrupted when it would start up, so I've tried running the check disk thing a few times. It's gotten to the point where it's fixed certain files -- I've gotten it as far as getting the second stage 50% completed, but it always turns itself off before it can finish. I can't give the exact messages because I'm not on my own computer right now, and I can't write fast enough to get them down before my computer shuts off.

It shuts off every time, regardless of how hot or cool the computer is -- although I have noticed that it does seem to last a bit longer when I've left it alone for a few hours, but that's not absolute: when I tried it this morning after leaving it alone all night, it shut off after less than 5 minutes. The weirdest part is that there's no consistency to it -- sometimes it will stay on for as long as 20 minutes, other times it turns off before it even gets past the XP loading screen.

For the record, I'm running XP and I don't have the disk -- the computer came with Vista, and I didn't want it so I had a friend remove it and give me XP instead. I've lost touch with him so I don't have access to the disk.

I have no idea what's wrong, and it's really frustrating me that I can't get my computer to stay on long enough to figure it out. Any help at all would be much appreciated! It figures that my computer would be fine all semester, and then during finals week it would go crazy. I'm under a ton of stress right now, so the quicker I can get this problem fixed the better! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users