Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to properly access some internet sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nshankar79

nshankar79

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Starting just a few days ago, I have been unable to successfully get into certain sites and certain programs don't seem to be running in any browser that I attempt to use. I generally use Firefox, but I have attempted to use both Chrome and IE. When I attempt to log into my Yahoo Mail account, I receive the following message:

Ooops. Yahoo! Mail can't load

Loading Yahoo! Mail failed due to a client side Galaxy error

You might try going into your firewall settings, and disabling "Ad blocking". If that doesn't work, please contact customer care.

* Try clearing your browser cache
* Try clearing your browser cookies
* Taking too long? More info
* If you received an ActiveX warning, please enable ActiveX
* Check your email in Yahoo! Mail Classic
* Switch back to Yahoo! Mail Classic
by opting out of Yahoo! Mail
* Click here to try again

I am able to view my mailbox through the Classic view, but I am unable to see the contents of the email messages from there.

In addition to this, I am also unable to access Facebook. When I log in, I see the heading area at the top but every below is blank. I am also unable to log out, as I am taken to the account settings page every time that I attempt to click on the Account dropdown menu to log out.

I am also unable to run Flash through my browser windows. When an embedded Flash video appears on a page, I either receive a message saying that Flash is not installed (which it is) or the space where the video should play remains blank. When I have attempted to go to Flash's site to try and download the latest version (which I already have installed) I am unable to download anything. It looks like there is some process going on in my browser and then it stops without a download being initiated. The same downloading problem has occurred on other sites where I have attempted to download a program.

I would appreciate any help or direction with this that anyone can give me. I am at a complete loss about what happened or what is going on now. I have not updated anything during the time frame from when this issue began. I turned off my computer one night before I went to bed (which I usually don't do) and the next morning when I turned it on, this was going on.

Thanks a lot,

Navin

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

What browser are you using?

#3 nshankar79

nshankar79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm using Firefox, but I have also tried to use IE and Chrome with similar results.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

What malware tools have you scanned with? If you haven't used any then I recommend http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.superantispyware.com. Scan with those post the results.

#5 nshankar79

nshankar79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

I initially only scanned with my antivirus (Avast). Nothing came up. I downloaded the two programs mentioned and have run scans.
The Malwarebytes scan has completed and it says that no malicious items were detected. See below.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4065

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

8/17/2010 12:26:43 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-17 (12-26-43).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 208927
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 35 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

The SuperAntiSpyware scan only shows an adware tracking cookie. See below.

Detected Item Description and Information

Listed below is basic information about the detected application/process. This application may not be safe to have on your system.

Summary : Adware.Tracking Cookie

Company : Unknown/Varies

Description : Tracking cookies are used by many types of sites to determine where you may have surfed, which pages you visited, and what ads you may have been shown.

Cookies are also used to remember logins on certain webpages such as Google, Yahoo and MSN. Cookies can also be used to save user preferences and options so the site can identify you the next time you visit and customize the site to your personal configuration. You may wish to trust those cookies detected by SUPERAntiSpyware if they belong to sites you trust or turn off Cookie scanning in the Preferences of SUPERAntiSpyware.

Cookies by themselves are not harmful as they are simple text files or text representations of data.

Threat Level (1-10) : 1

Processes :

CLSID List :

#6 nshankar79

nshankar79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

I ran the Malwarebytes scan again and this time it found an infected file. See below:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4065

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

8/18/2010 7:19:44 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-18 (19-19-44).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|)
Objects scanned: 209040
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 24 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\AshWebSv.ws (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

I'd appreciate any help in figuring out how to get rid of this. Hopefully it will also clear up my other issues.

Thanks.

#7 nshankar79

nshankar79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

The infected file was deleted upon reboot and I scanned my computer again. Nothing infected. My issues still persist. Suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users