Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect Virus using Google via IE8 and/or Firefox 3.X

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sonicwmat

sonicwmat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

On Sunday, came home to find my computer had contracted a virus in some manner (use PCTools Firewall and AVG 9 - always updated). AVG detected a series of viruses and removed them, but the after affect seemed to be the notorious redirect virus. What's also interesting is that the virus disabled my ability to utilize windows update - that I had not seen before. I used everything from HitmanPro to SpyBot to MalwareBytes to SuperAntiSpyware to HiJack This to Ad Aware - you name it. I even used JavaRa to ensure older versions of Java were removed. I updated to the newest Java. I reverted to an older version of of Firefox - did a million things before finding similar posts on this forum and taking the same action - using ComboFix. Everything seems to be working now - Windows Update is back and running. I have the ComboFix log if a moderator would like me to post it.

Edited by Budapest, 04 May 2010 - 05:07 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonicwmat

sonicwmat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

My apologies for the use of ComboFix prematurely - I simply saw an identical (from a symptoms perspective) post with very limited information from the infected user in which the moderator immediately suggested ComboFix and proceeded to give the directions on how to use it. I also read the ComboFix guide before using. Not being a novice - I was aware that there was not going to be many options available beyond ComboFix to locate the rootkit and eliminate it. I had literally tried dozens of things suggested from this forum and dozens of malware/rootkit removers with absolutely no results or detections. ComboFix immediately found the problems (which was a virus dressed up as a driver) as well as a bogus windows update folder/files and removed them. Everything worked perfectly afterward. So again, sorry about the preemptive strike just wanted to get the problem fixed - thankfully ComboFix did - and then supply the log if it was of any value. Beyond that, to your request there wasn't much more to say from my original post short of IE would not allow a connection to Windows Update - it simply said it could not connect to the Internet - which it could. And when using IE/FireFox and Google/Bing - any link I clicked upon doing a search simply re-directed to an advertisement - I never had any screens hots to share, nor error messages - for all practical purposes, beyond it's behavior there was nothing to indicate a problem otherwise. My OS is XP SP 3.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hello,

Sorry about the delay. The forum is quite busy and things do slip past us in the AII forum.

That request about NOT posting CF logs in the log forum is primarily to keep people from running the program unsupervised.

Please read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/ which explains that reasoning further.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users