Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution change at boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itzdabear

itzdabear

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Good day & I'm new....So please forgive me for stumbling.

I have a Toshiba Laptop, 32 bit, Vista home prem. with ATI Radeon X1200 display adapter, Catalyst control.

Each time I boot, everything is good at 1280X800 for less than one min. Then goes to 640X480. I can get my resolution back by right click on the task bar ATI icon which will show me two “ATI Radeon X1200 series” choices. Clicking on the second one and selecting “Extended desktop” every thing else is grayed out on this choice. This corrects the problem until the next boot. and then right back to 640X480.

The first choice gives a list of resolutions, one choice is “Set desktop area to” but clicking on any resolution brings up the window telling me that resolution cant be located.

Once Ive corrected by “Extended desk top” then the resolution choices in the other ATI Radeon X1200 series allows the choice of resolutions.

Ive re-installed the updated ATI drivers (Twice), tried the Vista resolution change, Tried the Catalyst control Center... Nothing corrects the problem.

Id like to avoid this work-around, can any one assist in getting me back to the original boot. I have no idea what caused this.

Thanks ahead of time!

Realized I left something out. This might be connected because it started around the same time..... Sporadically and always on reboot my desktop icons that I set to medium view, return to classic. The right click menu that shows "View" continues to indicate "Medium" though they have returned to "Classic". To work-around, I must click on Classic, then medium to reset to my wish. Thanks

Edited by itzdabear, 04 May 2010 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

Alright. so it's good for a little under a minute then it drops. Sounds like some program hits it as it starts up. Check if you installed anything that affects video around the time it started.

You could also try and plug the monitor into your onboard card rather than the ATI card and see if that works.

Let me know.

#3 itzdabear

itzdabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

I had tried finding a program that starts at the time this happens like you suggested to no avail. This is a laptop and I don't thik I understand your second idea. Thanks for anything you come up with.

#4 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

oh, a laptop. riight, I'm so used to desktops I completely forgot.

hmmm, not sure what else to check, I'll think on it and let you know if I come up with anything.

#5 itzdabear

itzdabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

YOU GOT IT!

You made me think about other programs being the cause and so I went over everything again. I had not closed a couple programs "I was sure of" (Right, yeah!). My Works Calendar reminder (WkCalRem.exe) must be corrupted. When I disabled it all went well.

One thing age has taught me " When we are absolutly sure we are right, we can still be wrong."

Much thanks, it is very appreciated.

#6 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

wow, a calendar changing the resolution? never would've crossed my mind.

glad you figured it out :D

#7 youemailme

youemailme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

I've had a similar problem, maybe related to upgrading from Vista 64bit to Win7 64bit, but every time I'd reboot, my screen would be its normal 1920x1200 for a few seconds, then change to 640x480. Finally tracked it down to something very simple. Right-click on program name in Start Menu>properties>compatibility. For some reason, there's an option to "run in 640x480 screen resolution", which was checked. This particular program was in the startup folder, and was the cause of the problem. If I took it out of startup, and opened it manually, it would do the same thing until I unchecked the resolution box. Put it back in startup, and no more problem. I know this doesn't sound exactly like your problem, but perhaps it will provide another clue. I sure wish I could have found this explanation when I searched for help, instead of spending hours tracking it down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users