Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

Well guys its me again :thumbsup:

One of my great friends and mentor owns a local printing shop. Ok what ever. :flowers:

So one day I was fixing his computer and he mentioned he has this empty office he can rent to me, so I can open up my computer shop. ok,
After thinking about it I decided it was to good to let go so I did it.

How do you guy get your business in??
I was thinking of doing all the free stuff first cause I have a low cost advertising budget, but do you guys have any good Ideas?

Well thank-you much,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

well, Im all word of mouth, but that takes forever to build a customer base and if your renting money could be a issue. What I would suggest is Run a add in the paper, advertise a grand opening (put signs up around town, in front of the shop) and make sure your well stocked for it. Another option is, your friend with the printing shop, likely already advertises, see what he does, and see if maybe if you pay him a small portion if hed include a couple lines about your shop in your adds. may save you some money.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

He has been doing this for 45 years plus. So he does not need to advertise anymore, the whole town knows him.

He passes out my flyers when his costumers come in. I been passing out flyers in peoples houses and walking around small companies.
I will probably buy a banner to put on top of the shop, there is a lot of traffic going thru the main streets.

Although I am not in debt, do to rent and other small bills I can't be doing this for long I guess I should just do it out of my house, in my spare time.
If cash flow does not come in.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

I moved my business from an extremely large city to a small town of about 7,000 last summer.
Never regretted a minute of it!

The way I got started overall was totally by accident. I fixed a few computers for friends back in 1999. They suggested I run a few ads and see what happens. I figured if I made it six months I would be lucky and happy. That was over 10 years ago. I quit advertizing after about two years and did everything out of my house. Low overhead.

Here, in Abilene KS, its a different story. I literally went around and introduced myself to almost every business downtown as well as the Chamber of Commerce. I do advertize in the local paper. It doesnt cost much in the business services section. I also advertize at a local church and a few other places.

I ask everyone how they heard about me. 90%+ is referrals. I keep track of where all of my customers come from so I know if my ads pay off. So far only the local paper is.
In a small town like I am in, people talk. Everybody knows everybody.

Always treat people right, the way you would like to be treated.
Always do the right thing, no matter what.
Always tell people the truth, even though they might not like to hear it
Treat people with respect and they will come back!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Yes Thanks a million eyeSee.
I will never give up on it, but I just might have to cut down again if this does not work out, which I pray to God it will.

As of know I do have some work, and we are lucky. And yea I will keep pushing till I see the seed of my hard work flurish.

Its just sometimes you know you get the "feelilng" :thumbsup: were I feel like I made a mistake.

But I know that is negative talk.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

little thing ive heard a lot from business starters of any business, is that you rarely see a pofit from the first year, its normally year two before you actually make money, the first year is mostly just for getting yourself established. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

Patriot is definitely right about that!

Remember that you can achieve anything you want out of life.
They key is to set your goals and pattern your life style around achieving them
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

starting a computer repair business requires you to know your trade very well and be able to turn around systems rapidly.
i don't know if you have any competition but the way to make a name for yourself is to be able to get your clients computers back to them fast. same day or next day.

people don't like to wait for the computer.

keep your prices reasonable.
people don't want to pay a lot to have a machine fixed when they can buy a new one for pretty cheap now a day.

also a hand-in-hand setup is nice.
sell electronics or cellphones or office supplies along side your repair business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users