Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stinkybuba

stinkybuba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Im using a Inspiron 8600 laptop with Windows XP. For some reason after i turn on my computer, it freezes 3 minutes after i turn it on, sometimes it even freezes after 2 hours. It doesnt ever freeze consistently at a certain point on startup or even when i run some programs. However, the more i try to turn on the computer, it takes less and less time to freeze. I can't perform any virus scans since my computer always freezes before i am able to finish. The weirdest thing is that i have no idea if my comp is crashing due to overheating, a virus, or if something is wrong with my computer's system. I have entered system set up to see if the computer crashes and it still crashes.
Thanks for any help with this! i really need some :[

P.S. i have run a diagnostic test that you start up with pressing f12 right when you turn on your computer and it always fails at DST Short Status Test with an error code of 1000-0145.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

DST Short Status Test

Generally this means that your hard drive is dying and needs to be replaced. If it is still under warranty you should contact Dell.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 stinkybuba

stinkybuba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

oh ok thanks
:[ i guess im gonna have to buy a new computer

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

Getting a new hard drive will be less expensive than replacing the whole computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users