Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Install Adobe Flash Player?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

I am having trouble installing adobe flash player. I have already downloaded the file for installation but don't know how to install it.

Here's an installation guide from Adobe site:

Linux (x86)

Installation instructions for .deb

1. Click the download link to begin installation. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to save the installer to your desktop.
2. Save the .deb package to your desktop, and wait for it to download completely.
3. Double-click on the .deb package and follow the instructions to complete installation.

-or-
Issue one of the following commands from the terminal:
* dpkg --install [filename].deb
* dpkg -i [filename].deb
4. To verify the plugin is installed in Mozilla, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

Installation instructions for tar.gz

1. Click the download link to begin installation. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
2. Save the .tar.gz file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. Unpackage the file. A directory called install_flash_player_10_linux will be created.
4. In terminal, navigate to this directory and type ./flashplayer-installer to run the installer. Click Enter. The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).
5. Once the installation is complete, the plug-in will be installed in your Mozilla browser. To verify, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

Installation instructions for .rpm

1. Click the download link to begin installation. A dialog box will appear asking you where to save the file.
2. Save the .rpm file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. In terminal, navigate to the desktop and type # rpm -Uvh <rpm_package_file>. Click Enter. (Note: This must be done as a root user). The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).
4. Once the installation is complete, the plug-in will be installed in your Mozilla browser. To verify, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.

Installation instructions via APT

1. Click the download link and follow the instructions to complete installation
2. To verify the plugin is installed in Mozilla, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.
3. To get the most up-to-date Flash Player in the future, issue the following commands from the Terminal:

* sudo apt-get update
* sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

Installation instructions for the YUM repository definition

2. Save the .rpm file to your desktop and wait for the file to download completely.
3. In terminal, navigate to the desktop and type # rpm -Uvh <rpm_package_file>. Click Enter. (Note: This must be done as a root user).
4. Once the installation is complete, in terminal, type # yum install flash-plugin. Click Enter. (Note: This must be done as a root user).
5. To verify the plugin is installed in Mozilla, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.
6. To get the most up-to-date Flash Player in the future, simply type # yum update flash-plugin in terminal. You will not need to repeat steps 1-4.

It seems that I Have downloaded a .rpm file.

Please help me with this.
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

There should be a drop-down box that reads Select version to download.... Simply choose .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+, and you should be good to go.

Edited by MadDawg, 03 May 2010 - 09:16 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for that information!

I tried it upon installation of the file, Ubuntu said that it would be better to download through [b]Ubuntu Software Center. It was said that this is because of more compatible versions. I, then tried to do it that way and have no problem afterwards.

Anyway, Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

No problem. I'm glad you got it working. :thumbsup:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 Caterina1

Caterina1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Gooday Cosmic sniper. I have used Linux a bit and there is 1 rule above all. Only install from the package manager of your distro. If you are going to be doing a bit of distro hopping, which many folks do once they see how easy and superior it is, it would help you to remember, or make a list of the different repository's and the type of files they are.

#6 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:45 AM

Sorry, that was me logged in under the wife's acct.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#7 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

wave maker,

thanks for that!

I am now having problem with my the size of installation. Since I used it as dual boot on a PC running Windows XP, I decided to set it at a minimum installation size of 3GB but after installing Flash and Video Download 0.1 (a firefox plug-in), Adobe Flash plugin, and OpenJDK Java 6 Web Start, the system space drop to less than 5oo MB.

Is Linux really that heavy on the system?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,874 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installat...temRequirements

The Recommended Minimum System Requirements should allow you to run an installation of Ubuntu well. While you can usually run Ubuntu on hardware of lower (and sometimes much lower) specification, performance will necessarily suffer. Most users (especially those new to Ubuntu) risk frustration if they ignore these suggestions.

Ubuntu Desktop (GUI) Installation

* 1 GHz x86 processor
* 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 5 GB of disk space
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024x768
* CD-ROM drive
* Sound support
* Internet access

Edited by buddy215, 04 May 2010 - 08:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users